Thread: Tongue and groove

Blog Entries

Tongue and groove

I have an old 1944 vintage book "It's Fun to Make It Yourself". It has an interesting joint that is a long grain tongue and groove
    except it has two grooves with a loose tongue. If you can visualize wood flooring with no tongue but two grooves, you will understand my
    interest in the joint.

I am an old woodworker, but I thought about it before.

I just thought I would share it with you,

AKA spline joint, sounds like. Agree - it is a versatile way to approach long grain joints, both loose and glued permanently.
    JR

Great joint for the kit. I've used it many times. One way I really like is to use it for panels. You can make the spline as wide as you wish and get a well shaped round over or bullnose on both pieces spaced as you like it. I found it hard to get the edge shape I liked on the tongue piece. Easy to make on a table saw too.
    Jim

This joint is still in use here with flooring grade chipboard albeit with a plastic tongue. They use different colours to identify the different thicknesses and grades. The only problem is that on building sites, electricians raid the plastic tongue to use for pulling wires through awkward places! Cheers

Blog Entries
    Splines can serve uses both hidden

Kit-Hut-(67).jpg . Kit-Hut-(85).jpg

and visible.

CoD sides shape and assemble 15.jpg . CoD Finish (6).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Our entire kitchen floor has that type of system. Both sides and ends of individual boards are grooved. Then loose splines were placed as it was laid. Of course, due to the age of our home, it is face nailed, not nailed thru the tongue.