Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atoma 400 versus DMT

Atoma 400 versus DMT

For those of you who have been fortunate enough to have tried both the Atoma 400 and DMT 120 lapping plates, have you found one outlasts the other? I have gone through 2 DMTs in 3 years and recently purchased an Atoma, just wondering what I might expect in terms of longevity.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Are you using these for flattening stones or for sharpening?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Flattening Shapton stones

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Flattening Shapton stones
    Wow, that's allot of wear and tear, you must do a ton of sharpening.

Which Shaptons are you using, have they held up?

Yea, I have rehabbed about 100 Baileys in the last 6 months. I was using 1000, 5000, and 8000 (pros). However my 1000 was down to about 1/8 inch thick and ....due to availability issues, I recently purchased a glass 2000. The 5000 and 8000 are still pretty thick. After talking to Shapton USA I also recently picked up an extra thick 500 for final flattening. As an aside.... to maximize the 1000 pro. I had a piece of 1/4 glass cut to size and siliconed it to the stone. Should keep it from flexing and make it last a bit longer.

I have seen advise to use the Atoma 400 for stone flattening only and not to use it for metal removal at all if the Atoma is to be a dedicated stone flattener.
    David

Blog Entries
    The Atoma is my preference, having used both.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

How flat are the atomas? I have a trend diamond stone and it has a > 0.002" depression in the center.

Initially it "seems" like the Atoma actually removes material faster than the DMTs in spite the 400 versus 120 labels. (May be my imagination... I don't have a young DMT to compare to at this point). If so, maybe the surface design is related. The Atoma has a geometrical pattern as opposed to the DMT which appears random??? Each DMT declined over about 2 years at which point it took forever to flatten the stones and 120 wet dry on a flat was much faster. Keep in mind, in addition to the typical hobbyist woodworking sharpening for my own planes and chisels, (in my rehabbing activities) I have flattened/polished and sharpened a ton of "irons" in pretty rough condition. So the stones have seen their share of flattening and the DMTs got a workout
    David, flattening is all I use the plates for.
    Thanks

Sorry Allen I haven't tried to measure the flatness at this point since I am getting good results. How did you measure the flatness... granite flat and feeler gauges?

11. Mark,
    Have you considered the DiaFlat lapping plate? I've used this for lapping only, for over 2 years. I'm not sharpening a large number of irons constantly; however, I have a couple of dozen edge tools that require attention regularly. It's getting worn down but still is reliable but takes more time to flatten coarser stones. It costs 2x more than the Atoma.
    Kenneth

Hi Kenneth, the DMT DiaFlat lapping plate is what I was using before the Atoma. They lasted about 2 years each, with my activity.

I've been using an Atoma 400 fro several years now with no issues. They are currently pretty reasonably priced as well. Last time I checked they were $44.01 plus $1.99 shipping.

Hi Dave I paid a bit more for mine. $1.99 shipping.... was that a mis type. There seems to be quite a range of prices for an "Atoma 400" with a Google search. Anyone know if there are different levels of quality? Like an economy line versus a standard line?

Bumping this because I am looking to get a lapping stone for Shapton Pro stones (grits 1000, 4000 and 8000) that will be used to sharpen planes and chisels.

These days the DMT Dia-Flat 120 is around $200 which I cant figure out how is justified. Where as the Atoma 400 can had for under $70. I have also read that for grits higher than 1000 the DMT 120 leaves a bit of a harsh finish after flattening, whereas the Atoma 400 being 400 grit is better suited for the job.

Anyone know a good reason to go with the DMT Dia-Flat 120 these days over the Atoma 400?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!