Thread: Funny shop story - surprisingly powerful shop vac

Funny shop story - surprisingly powerful shop vac

I've got an older Fein Turbo III which I've loved for a decade now, with a Cleanstream HEPA to take better care of my lungs and avoid the crazy Fein HEPA filter prices. I hadn't cleaned the filter in a while because it's a dirty job, but last weekend I put on a dust mask and gave it a thorough cleaning.

My next task was vacuuming some dust off my workbench which was scattered with tools, and I was surprised when my Fein, no longer hobbled by a dirty filter sucked up TWO screwdrivers before I could react, and was about to gobble up a chisel. I had fun getting the screwdrivers out of the hose... I'll be more careful next time!

Blog Entries
    At least you didn't forget to put the filter back in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When the vacuum can no longer suck up a screwdriver you'll know it's time to clean the filter again.

John

"and was about to gobble up a chisel" I literally laughed out loud! That's a seriously strong vacuum!

I've got one of the older Fein Turbo II's and it is the most powerful vacuum I own. I always have to be careful when loose tools, nuts, bolts, etc. are around and I'm vacuuming the bench. I wish they were still made by the old manufacturer, I would buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    At least you didn't forget to put the filter back in place.
    Hi Lee, been there, done that, LOL, real mess to clean up after, never did it again.

Hmm - that sounds good! I have an older Ridgid that works pretty well, but not that well. I have found a routine that keeps my vac working, though - once a week, on trash day, I empty my big dust collector, put it back together, take the shop vac apart, dump the contents into the bag of dust from the collector, and clean the filter by vacuuming it with my dust collection hose. Total time is about 5 minutes, and I'm good for the next week. Best thing is that I never forget to put the shop vac filter back on because I never take it off...

8. wow i cant imagine it gobbled up a chisel, strong vacuum!

I once made the mistake of using my shop vac to clean the dust out of my laptop computer's keyboard. (Remember those famous last words "Seemed like a good idea at the time"?)

Sucked the "A" key right off. I never could find it.

You wouldn''t believe how many times you need an "A" key.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-31-2017 at 6:05 AM.