Thread: Parting Tool handles?

Parting Tool handles?

The parting tool seems to have a much bigger variety of handle sizes than other lathe tools. I have one stuck artlessly in a 6" file handle. The thin kerf parting tools from Crown and Sorby look even smaller. One from a harbor freight set has the same 12-14" handle as the rest of them.

What is your preference for a parting tool handle, for best control?

(I will be getting a D-Way or Thompson parting tool soon and will either buy or make a handle.)

Thanks
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post

(I will be getting a D-Way or Thompson parting tool soon and will either buy or make a handle.)
    Brian,

I also have a variety of handles for parting tools. I guess my favorite is about 12" long. I bought one of Thompson's parting tools recently made from a 1/2" round bar. I use it with no handle, just hold the bar. It works find for the type of turning I do. BTW, I also don't use handles on a variety of small conventional and negative rake scrapers, a couple of larger NRS, a couple of spindle gouges, and Thompson's 5/8" StLeger spindle roughing gouge - I see no need for delicate work.

I am careful to never get a parting tool in a bind so cuts are gentle and control hasn't been an issue. If using it to separate a largish bold from a glue block I might use a heavy duty tapered parting tool I have with a longer handle.

JKJ

3. I have a flat thin parting tool from Sorby......it has a tang that goes all the way through like a knife handle does and is riveted in between the two sides of the handle. My favorite parting tool is a diamond parting tool, and it has a handle similar to the handles on a sorby or Crown gouge, only not quite as long or large in diameter as a gouge handle.......very similar in shape though, and I like it as it feels very familiar and comfortable to use.

How are you liking your G0800 lathe Brian, now that you are getting to use it some?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am loving the G0800 lathe. Intentionally starting small to be fully at home with the lathe and new chucks. I am turning things the same size as I did with the Delta 46-460. This is one smooth animal. I will keep going until I have used it for awhile and tried some larger pieces before giving it a full opinion-review. Thanks for asking.

Get one of Dave's 8" handles when you order the parting tool. Shipping is a flat fee, so you will save money. I have nearly all my tools in Dave's handles. Comfortable to the touch in the winter!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post

Thanks
    I have both D-Way and Thompson parting tools, plus others that I don't use anymore. The D-Way and Thompson are in 7" aluminum handles. I find the 7" handles are good for about 2 - 2 1/2" of cutting depth before you loose control and they vibrate up and down. I get so lazy that I don't change to a longer handle. The D-Way is a couple of inches shorter overall and has sharp square corners and will chew-up a cast iron tool rest when the vibration happens. The Thompson also has a radius and is thicker, therefor I use the Thompson If The depth of cut will exceed a couple of inches.

Both of mine are Sorby; thin with the short handle and standard with about a 12" handle. I agree with others that it just depends on the type of turning. The long would be very cumbersome for small items like boxes, likewise I want the long one for leverage if cleaning up a tenon on a large bowl (or parting off anything over 2").
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

John Keeton knows me, that I can tie my brain in a know over almost any purchasing decision. Thank you, John, for telling me simply what to do. I just ordered the D-Way parting tool and 8" handle. If for any reason John is wrong, I have a lathe so I can make a different handle.

I am curious if the small-handles Sorby and Crown can get away with that size handle because at 1/16" thick they need less leverage to make the cut.

John Keeton, the tool and handle came today. It has a flat tang. Do I tighten the set screws onto the wide or narrow part of the tang?

Brian, I tightened the screws against the flat side. Been using it for over two years with no issue, but I suspect either way would work.

Left click my name for homepage link.

If you view Dave's handle video from his website, he states to tighten the setscrew against the narrow portion. I believe the blade has enough mass and they're strong enough that it probably doesn't matter. (Unless you "gorilla tighten" it down against the flat section. Not sure you'd affect it even then, though.��)

As always, this opinion may be worth every penney you paid for it.

Clint