Thread: Help Identifying Delta Bandsaw

Help Identifying Delta Bandsaw

Been keeping my eye out for bandsaws lately on craigslist and this one popped up today. 'https://juneau.craigslist.org/tls/6061519684.html It's listed as "Delta 16" enclosed bandsaw with movable stand 2 speed" but I can't find anything online about 16" Deltas that aren't the 3 wheel models. The price seems a bit steep, $895, but there's not much available on the new market locally for less (shipping to Alaska skews prices up a bit). The seller doesn't know what the model number is, just that it's a couple years old. Hoping someone here might be able to help identify it, ultimately I want to know how it stacks up to the Jet 1hp 14" since that is the closest priced new one in town here.

Theres a few pictures of other angles in the background of the other items he has for sale but this is the one picture focused on the saw.

00202_cMJZd2XdkRg_1200x900.jpg

Thank You
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-27-2017 at 8:10 AM. Reason: removed direct link

Looks like a 28-206 I used to have. 14", 1 hp with enclosed base. I can't remember if mine was 2 speed though. It is not a 16" so it might not be 2 speed. It is more then a couple years old. I think I sold mine in 2009 for $450 with a riser block and extra blades. It vibrated too much for my taste. Delta is worse off now so I would give even less for it. Can't speak for prices in Alaska though. I would go Grizzly before I bought that.

As Cary says it is a 14" saw not a 16" saw, probably not 2 speed. It is probably also like he said a 28-206. Probably 10-15 years old but it looks clean. I have watched the price of Delta 14" saws move up significantly in the last couple of years, I blame the maker community. That said this is an Asian saw so it has none of the American made quality/value. The price is very high for the lower 48 but I have no idea what Grizzly/Jet/Rikon etc charge to ship to Alaska.

Unless someone just wants an old Delta with all the aftermarket stuff that can be bought for them I suggest a steel spined saw instead like the Rikon 10-326 but I have no idea what they cost in Alaska.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a spare bandsaw that looks much like that. Mine is a 28-216. You might ask the guy if the label is on the back of the upper cabinet. It would give the model number.

JKJ

5. Looks like a 14" to me too and I have to wonder if it is really two speed. The price seems way high, but I don't know what is normal for where you are.

Mine was a good bit less than half that price and included a riser block, an upgraded motor, upgraded tension springs, cool blocks guides, a decent fence, a nice miter gauge, and a bunch of blades. He even threw in some other unrelated stuff including at least $100 worth of abrasives. It didn't have an enclosed cabinet, but rather an open stand. My 28-235 is a older than that one, but that may be a good thing.

FWIW, I have had no trouble buying parts for mine. I broke a trunion when moving it and ruined the tensioner from over-tensioning beyond what it could handle. I found the replacement parts pretty easily. I did decide that using a 3/4" wide blade for resawing was more than this saw could handle even with the supposedly low tension timberwolf blades. I am now sticking with 1/2" blades or 5/8" at most for resawing and find the results adequate and the saw isn't as overtaxed for the resawing that I do. Much of my work involves cutting 0.090" or so veneers.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 03-27-2017 at 8:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a spare bandsaw that looks much like that. Mine is a 28-216. You might ask the guy if the label is on the back of the upper cabinet. It would give the model number.

JKJ

There are several that look nearly identical with the stamped Delta logo on the top wheel. 28-206, 28-212 and 28-216 are some of them, some US made and some China. From pictures the switches and the stickers are the best spotting features.

The 212 and 216 usually have the tall Delta sticker with the cautionary info on it. The 206 will "usually" have a short Delta sticker on the bottom door with just the Delta name and logo on it. There are multiple variations with the 28-206 some had a second sticker below the short one with the cautionary info and some will have a blue Delta logo sticker in the center of the stamped logo on the top wheel cover.

There are a ton of variations but the 206 is the most prevalent and by the stickers and the switch I am about 89%. Even if this happens to be an older US made saw it is still way overpriced in the lower 48, especially with no fence.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for the quick and thorough info! Sounds like this is probably a pass at the asking price.

Everyone and their brother is asking a ton for old 14 inch Delta and Delta Clone band saws. I tend to look at the saw from the stand point of what will it do making sawdust in my shop....from that standpoint, $400 is the absolute max for this type of saw. And then it would have to be a 1950's or 1960's American made Delta in very, very good condition.

The Steel Spined Rikon and Laguna saws will cut circles around these, quite literally. I would eat PB and J for a month or two for lunch (if that is what it took!) and buy a better band saw.

Shipping cannot be that bad on a 14/12 to Alaska...one would think...