Thread: New Pen Turnings

New Pen Turnings

As part of the Christmas gift push, I have been working on some pen type kits.

Below is a photo of what I worked on this weekend. Sorry for the photo quality, I can't get anything better from my cheapy digital.

From the left are an Areomatic Cedar Letter Opener, Corn Cob Slimline Pen, Walnut Pencil and Walnut Pen. I "harvested" the corn cobs for the pen last year and they have been drying since The walnut pen and pencil will be a set and both of them show about 30% sap wood. They were actually scraps from the cutting boards I posted.
    PensSIZED.jpg
    Pens 2SIZED.jpg
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hey Jeff,

Very good sir! The picture's a tad outta focus so it's hard to see any detail. I bet they'll make some great gifts! So....how's that cedar? I just cut a bunch of blanks of aromatic and I'm wondering how to finish and how it behaves under the knife.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice pens Jeff. How was the cobb to work?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Hey Jeff,

Very good sir! The picture's a tad outta focus so it's hard to see any detail. I bet they'll make some great gifts! So....how's that cedar? I just cut a bunch of blanks of aromatic and I'm wondering how to finish and how it behaves under the knife.
    John, The cedar worked great! It worked like a soft wood and required some 120 grit gouge work when done, but it sands SUPER easy. I have some more that I am hoping to use for a full pen. I like how it has darkened over time.

I finished it with my old standby turning finish, BLO and thick CA.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Nice pens Jeff. How was the cobb to work?
    Chris, the Cob worked great. One thing I learned is that it requires a WHOLE lotta CA to use a fresh cob. If you let them dry out for a year, they work a lot more easily. Also, I now glue in all of my tubes with Poly glue, I have a blow out about every 5th cob pen now that I started doing that. You have to let it dry over night, but it is worth not having a blow out when you are 10 seconds from done
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    I now glue in all of my tubes with Poly glue
    You mean like gorilla glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson
    You mean like gorilla glue?
    Jason, I have not yet used Gorilla Glue, but I have heard of good results. I use titebond Poly Glue. Simply because it has been cheaper than Gorilla and I haven't had poor results.
    Jeff Sudmeier

8. Nice pens, Jeff! I really like the corncob pens - pretty neat!

Thanks for the picture!