Thread: Craftsmanship in woodworking

Craftsmanship in woodworking

A friend sent me an email this morning with pictures of some beautiful examples of woodworking craftsmanship. Here are some of my favorites. I'm sure some of you have seen these pictures before so just enjoy them again. For the rest of us maybe they can be a source of ideas and inspiration.

WOW!
    I am always in awe of such pieces.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I'm a pretty good builder, but I have terribly underdeveloped design skills. Every one of those pices looks just great. Wish I had an eye like that. George Wilson does.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I so admire those with the imagination to conceive such creative designs. Thanks for sharing!

While I can admire the craftsmanship and imagination involved; some of those pieces are really homely. Am I the only one?!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    While I can admire the craftsmanship and imagination involved; some of those pieces are really homely. Am I the only one?!
    No, I only like a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    No, I only like a couple of them.
    Two, maybe three......... The Vespa is pretty cool.

I always wondered if other pros have these ideas in their heads that would be awesome, but no one to pay for them, and too damn busy making a living to just do them just because. I am often dreaming up something really complicated while I make one more hum-drum whatever so that I can buy new shoes for the baby.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-26-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    No, but I accept that taste is subjective.

I believe these works need to be judged in the context of "fitness for use". After the baby food board of directors met at the big table .....all members noticed their shirts and ties were "almost spotless".

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    De gustibus non est disputandum.
    I say A potest disputare pauperum gustandi.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

I always wondered if other pros have these ideas in their heads that would be awesome, but no one to pay for them, and too damn busy making a living to just do them just because.
    As a hobbyist I have different problems with the same result. I have issues of where to put something since once you have fully furnished a house you have to edit to add. Then there is the issue of decor, we have mostly mid-century modern and Danish inspired things now so if I get the urge to build a Queen Anne Highboy I would have no place to put it, and I ain't gonna give it away.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Online translators... Greatest thing EVER!!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I.e., kitsch does not exist or everything is above average.
    Metod