Thread: Help ! Gen. Int. drum sander problems

Help ! Gen. Int. drum sander problems

I'm a new member to this form.
    I have a General International 15-250, 24" Drum Sander. I'm having problems keeping sandpaper tight on the drum. Using 80grit, on 18"W x 8'L oak bd. and .010 depth of cut, one pass and the sandpaper comes loose and starts to ride over itself destroying the paper. I've tried less depth of cut......same results. I've tried 8" and 12"W oak or pine bds......same results. I"m at my Whits end with this machine.

Does anyone own one that can shed some info ? Anyone !

Zibby

Hi....

Hi...
    First, keep the two original strips of sand-paper--do not cut them;
    Second trace two new strips and cut them...
    Third - I found that the (facing the front on the machine) left side clamps
    held the sandpaper strips perfectly-BUT the right side doesn't-so I made the small piece which slips under the spring-loaded clamp a little bit thinner and shorter...so clip the left side and tightly wrap the roller, and then clamp the right side. Do the same to both rollers. Then very
    LIGHTLY sand a 12" section of wood...turn off unit and tighten the sandpaper (on the right side-clamps). The sandpaper does stretch.
    ****There is a big difference in sandpapers--some stretch a lot, some not very much.****

IF you hate the clamping system; then go to the Woodmaster tool website and buy their hook and loop system to put on your two rollers...and buy some hook and loop paper !

(Like everything, both systems have their pros and cons...the clamping system rounds the edges less; the hook & loop is easier to use...)

Good luck,
    Phil

The answer almost certainly lies in the clamping mechanism for the sandpaper strips. The depth of cut has little to do with sandpaper coming loose. My Delta drum sander is a little touchy, but once the clamps are properly engaged, it holds nice and tight.

I have the same sander and have experienced some of the same problems that you are reporting. I ordered the hook and loop conversion kit from woodmaster and changed mine over. Very satisfied now, no more issues with the paper. I just last week found some 3" h&l paper from Klingspor and ordered it. Woodmaster only has 6" paper and the wraps have a real steep angle to them and the sanding dust gets underneath the paper between the hook and loop. I think that the 3" paper will be a good improvement however the 6" did a magnificant job.

Klingspor also has the conversion kits.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.