Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quartersawn fir

quartersawn fir

I need to buy quartersawn fir. I am currently buying roughly 30-40 2x4x10's per month from lowes, but picking through their selection for quartersawn or 'close to quartersawn' is very time consuming.

I am guessing most people don't think of sourcing such a low-grade material in a quarter sawn (perhaps more correctly called 'vertical grain'), but if anyone can suggest a way to source it, it would be very much appreciated.

The stain I use does very well with this material, and the cost is great, so I would like to avoid switching.

thank you
    DW

Can't help with a source. But if you have to order it I would make sure the order shows you will not accept "hem- fir".

Sounds like you want CVG fir (Clear Vertical Grain)? That's not an uncommon product, and you should be able to find it. Maybe the nomenclature (qs vs CVG) is what's causing the problem.

I don't think of CVG fir as a low grade material, but if you are currently buying big box framing lumber maybe that is what you need . What are you producing?

I would think a lumber yard could source some for you. It’s expensive so be ready for that. The stuff at the borg will weep pitch in the summer when it gets hot so keep that in mind.
    If you order from a lumber yard kiln dried is the way to go. I use to have a good source for rough sawn fir and took pleasure in jointing and planing.
    The smell is like nothing else on earth.
    Good Luck
    Aj

In my area, it’s easier to find CVG Doug Fir at high end “building supply” houses than at hardwood dealers. Hardwood dealers might be able to get it as well. Depending on the quantity you need, you might be able to resaw 4x4 posts. The box with finger joints below was built with CVG Fir that I bought. The box with mitered corners was made from a resawn 4x4.

7D4E5578-6A89-4DB8-87A5-CDEE0AD83A31.jpg 17768D91-CD61-46B7-8230-4EBAF9030B52.jpg

thanks everyone. Another point I did not mention, I have found at Lowes that when I purchased the highest grade 2x4x8's, they were very red and did not stain consistently. However, the 2x4x10's are always very white wood, and it is this material that I am after. I am not sure if this is hem fir or doug fir, but this white material is what I am in need of in a vertical grain/quarter sawn cut. Can anyone here shed light on the difference between the 8ft and 10ft length species? thank you very much.
    DW

I buy VG-D-fir from my local full-service lumber yard. They don't stock it, but generally have it for me in one or two days. I don't think it's good to characterize this as "low-grade", either...it's premium material with a nearly $8.00 a board foot "contractor" price for 8/4 materail. I buy via Wehrung's Specialty Woods in Ottsville, PA, but there should be someone in your geography that can get it for you. Stay away from the mass marketers...you need a "real" material supplier for this stuff as it's all brought in from "out west/north".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you buy 2 X 10 and rip 2 X 4 out of each edge, discarding the center pith area, you will end up with the grain that you are looking for. Not really quarter sawn, but close. I have done this when I couldn't find what I needed.

Charley

Dustin,
    I have been thinking of thinning out my stash of old growth VG DF. I have old bleacher seats (bolt holes about every 4') so depending on the lengths widths you need.....it is gorgeous. Also have thicker (2" plus) VG DF timbers. PM me if interested.

IMG_1342 3.jpg
    IMG_1435 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Bob - sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    thanks everyone. Another point I did not mention, I have found at Lowes that when I purchased the highest grade 2x4x8's, they were very red and did not stain consistently. However, the 2x4x10's are always very white wood, and it is this material that I am after. I am not sure if this is hem fir or doug fir, but this white material is what I am in need of in a vertical grain/quarter sawn cut. Can anyone here shed light on the difference between the 8ft and 10ft length species? thank you very much.
    If you are trying to match the white wood I’d bet it is spruce not fir
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    You're not far from Boro in North Jersey, they have it. They're a commercial supplier so they invoice/pull stock based on the quantity and grade. That said, I find them very easy to work with.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    (perhaps more correctly called 'vertical grain')
    I don't know where that dumb term came from, but the only time the grain is vertical is when the board is standing on end. I've never seen it used with any other species of wood. So no, there's nothing 'correct' about it.

Blog Entries

The stain I use does very well with this material, and the cost is great, so I would like to avoid switching.

thank you
    If you are looking for non construction lumber grade, expect to pay closer to 8/bd ft.

Or about $35 per 2x4x10