Thread: No lathe replacement chisel handle

No lathe replacement chisel handle

While waiting for glue to dry, thought I'd try a first attempt at making a replacment chisel handle sans lathe. Grabbed a piece of 8/4 hard maple and cut a blank, planed it square and then planed down to 16 sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 03-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Starting at the taper end, I sawed a line at length to approximate depth. Using spokeshave, riflers, carving chisel got it to a pretty good fit.

IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0441.jpg IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0443.jpg

Progressing up the handle, more apokeshave, rifflers, files, chisels, sandpaper and anything else I could find to shape the thing...
    IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0450.jpg IMG_0451.jpg

Not a perfect replica, but should be a decent user.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 03-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Nice job. I too lack a lathe. I've made a couple of cylindrical pieces using a similar technique as you. My results were less precise, but functional nonetheless. I was going for the "frontier look". (Sure, that's it )
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice Job, Phil....I admire your patience, You made it happen without the lathe..I'm just learning how to turn as I have +20 socket chisel handles to make..But I'm learning and discovering its fun..BTW, the fit of the socket is the key step..Nice work, Phil.
    Jerry

That's how I did it. Nice job!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

If you are not using a lathe, why make it round? Oval, octagonal, rounded edged triangular... all are good for various tools. I consider round to be a compromise shape that is not best in use, but is common because it's easily made on a lathe.

Must say again:Phil, you did a remarkable job considering no lathe,,,
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Like you, I have no lathe. I made handles for two timber framing chisels. I made one round with shaves and sand paper. The other, I made hex shaped and rounded the edges a bit..

One is a socket and the other a tang chisel.

It's not difficult to do.

Thanks all. Yes, hexagonal or long cylindar would have been easier, but I was out to match the original handle as close as possible to match two others in this set. Just one of those lets see if I can do it project.

Jerry, your post on wood choice did inspire me to take a shot at this. And I must say if I was looking at 20 handles, I'd be searching for someone local with a lathe, or perhaps a mini lathe for the shop. I'm embarrased to say how many hours I ended up spending on this one handle. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Nice work Phil. It pays to work on those skills. There are many places in woodworking where hand shaping is required. I wish I was better at it. I keep trying.
    Jim

Phil, as I was preparing for making my chisel handles , I stumbled on a You Tube video of a man doing it by hand (no lathe)..Cannot remember his name nor link..He also used spokeshave and drawknife....A tip for the future.
    Jerry