Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecting Ducting to 8" Dust Gorilla Pro Oddity

Quote Originally Posted by Craig White View Post
    Possibly the wrong part? I have the same setup. Once you clear this hurdle, you're going to love it! Was a game changer for me.

Craig
    I’m going to call and find out tomorrow, maybe I just really need to force it in there? I tried that a couple times already unsuccessfully. The line item quote lists the correct part number, but a different description.

I have an Oneida 5 hp Super Gorilla connected to 8" Nordfab. The 8" Nordfab pipe slips inside the Oneida inlet. I don't remember, but I probably used 8" Nordfab QF pipe, and cut one of the QF rolled ends off with a jigsaw. I then slid the raw Nordfab pipe into the Oneida inlet and taped it with aluminum tape.

Note, however, that my Oneida inlet is about 2 1/8" long at the 9 o'clock position versus yours that seems to be a lot less than an inch. Did someone cut this off? Anyway, I would silicone it in the inside, and aluminum tape it on the outside. You could use a few sheet metal screws for insurance.

Sleeve it on the inside.....then either live with it that way or.Sleeve it inside,band clamp(OD sleeve)outside...or,can do another cple ways.It's not a big deal.Good luck with your project.BW

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    I have an Oneida 5 hp Super Gorilla connected to 8" Nordfab. The 8" Nordfab pipe slips inside the Oneida inlet. I don't remember, but I probably used 8" Nordfab QF pipe, and cut one of the QF rolled ends off with a jigsaw. I then slid the raw Nordfab pipe into the Oneida inlet and taped it with aluminum tape.

Note, however, that my Oneida inlet is about 2 1/8" long at the 9 o'clock position versus yours that seems to be a lot less than an inch. Did someone cut this off? Anyway, I would silicone it in the inside, and aluminum tape it on the outside. You could use a few sheet metal screws for insurance.
    We did not cut it off. I wish we would have noticed it before assembling it. Although if the pipe is supposed to go inside the inlet it should not matter, except there's not much surface area to get a good tape seal.

All -

I just received the 3 HP Oneida Gorilla Pro. I'm in the process of getting it setup and noted that it has the same issue.

I email Oneida about my concern as to how to connect their inlet to my system. I'll let everyone know when I get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    All -

I just received the 3 HP Oneida Gorilla Pro. I'm in the process of getting it setup and noted that it has the same issue.

I email Oneida about my concern as to how to connect their inlet to my system. I'll let everyone know when I get a response.
    James,

What they've told us is that the collar is within their tolerance, and that we should be crimping the raw end of the machine adapter and sliding it inside the 8" inlet.

Then they want three sheet metal screws from the inside out so that there are no pointed screws to catch material. Alternatively you could shear/file the pointed tips from the inside.

Then they want a bead of silicone around the exterior and then they want it wrapped in tape.

I'll look forward to hearing what they told you.

I just installed my system. The sleeve fits inside and then the quick connect straight pipe attaches to that sleeve. It was simple. It sounds like you have the wrong part. I had them do the design and it went together very smoothly. If you like I can take a picture next time I am in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by david blakelock View Post
    I just installed my system. The sleeve fits inside and then the quick connect straight pipe attaches to that sleeve. It was simple. It sounds like you have the wrong part. I had them do the design and it went together very smoothly. If you like I can take a picture next time I am in my shop.
    That would be great, thank you.

To those of you that ordered the machine adapter did you utilize the standard 8" (7.95" OD) machine adapter or did you use an expanded version?

We found out that the version we received we the expanded version which is why it won't fit inside.

I can't begin to remember all the times I have read about Oneida manufactured equipment that won't fit hoses or adapters. I ordered a Super Dust Deputy along with a 6 to 5 inch adapter to hook it to my existing dust collector. Their own adapter wouldn't fit either inside or outside the short outlet pipe. I finally bought an adapter from Home Depot at less than half the price of the Oneida one and modified it to work.

I used the standard one that they shipped. I have to say that I was very pleased with Oneida. The design was well laid out and all the parts fit great. Really had no issues. The only thing frustrating with Oneida is the amount of time it takes to ship parts. I ended up going to Grizzly for a few additional parts I needed to add a drop. They ship quickly and the shipping charges seemed to be less.

As promised here is a picture of the adapter inserted into the dust collector with the 8" pipe attached.IMG_20170322_114130.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by david blakelock View Post
    I used the standard one that they shipped. I have to say that I was very pleased with Oneida. The design was well laid out and all the parts fit great. Really had no issues. The only thing frustrating with Oneida is the amount of time it takes to ship parts. I ended up going to Grizzly for a few additional parts I needed to add a drop. They ship quickly and the shipping charges seemed to be less.

As promised here is a picture of the adapter inserted into the dust collector with the 8" pipe attached.
    Thank you very much. We now ordered the standard 8" machine adapter with 7.95" OD.

Did you silicone or use sheet metal screws at all to secure/seal your adapter?

So far I have not done either. I might run a bead of silicone around it, but doesn't seem to really need it.

Good luck with the rest of the installation

All -

I wanted to let everyone know what I heard back from Oneida.

My inlet is 7" (Gorilla Pro 3hp). They told me to order the 7" adapter spiral (it is crimped on both ends) and then use a block of wood and rubber mallet to force it into the inlet and then screw it in, silicon caulk it, and tape it to make it airtight. I did not screw it in. Caulk and tape worked just fine. Only difference from what is happening with the OP is that the adapter they sent me fit (just barely) inside my inlet and did not blow out when I forced it into the inlet.

One FYI. I use flex hose to attach it to my system. It was a real struggle pulling the Oneida 7" flex hose over the Oneida adapter and reducer. I had to use pliers. This makes for a great seal; just not used to the struggle.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Pop rivet from the inside?
    NOW you tell me...