Thread: Arrrgh! Wasted hours, should have just checked the pressure gauge!

Arrrgh! Wasted hours, should have just checked the pressure gauge!

In the middle of a job cutting 1,000 pieces out of 1/16" ABS, my tube died. After getting the new one, aligning mirrors, and experimenting with new settings for the higher power of the new tube, I wasted time and material and kept fiddling around thinking I must have done something wrong. The material was flaming, scorching, and the cuts were rough. Finally, I happened to look at the gauge on my little airbrush compressor, and instead of the usual 25 lbs. it only read 14. First I checked for leaks, but found none. I only paid $90 for it about 2006, so it's had a good life, but I felt silly for not checking that sooner. I connected to one of my real compressors to finish the job and every piece is cutting nice and clean. Just have to use headphones, that thing is loud when it kicks on. Epilog no longer loans the alignment tool, I bought it from them for $175 (rental was $185)

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I have those days too!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Not sure how much but lasering abs pruduces cyanide. Any time i try abs it gives me a big head ache.

What does the alignment tool look like?

Oddly enough, we just replaced our air assist pump also after it refused to show up.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Not sure how much but lasering abs pruduces cyanide. Any time i try abs it gives me a big head ache.
    Haven't had that problem, but I do leave the top shut with the exhaust running a minute or two before removing the material.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    What does the alignment tool look like?

Oddly enough, we just replaced our air assist pump also after it refused to show up.
    Here is a pic of it for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA