Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Unisaw purchase advice

Thanks a lot for the advice, really appreciate it!
    Based on feedback, I'll probably keep looking, for a while at least. Maybe go back with another ~$400 offer if its still around in a few weeks and I haven't found anything better.

Matt Day - I did verify the height and tilt mechanisms achieve full travel with the custom motor mount. It does appear to have been done in a quality manner at least.

Chris Hachet or Bill Bukovec - I'm thinking the "hang around other woodworkers and let them know I'm in the market" strategy would be best as well. However, I'm fairly "new to the game" so to speak, and am not very in-touch with the local community as of yet. I've garnered good advice from some of the more specialty woodworking shops in my area, (Woodcraft, etc if you know the twin cities), but not much beyond that. Can you (or anyone else too for that matter) offer any advice on other places, opportunities, forums, ways to interact with other woodworkers, etc... that might be beneficial for me to check out and get involved with?

Lastly, one of my main issues is that my budget has a pretty firm cap around $500 (possibly stretch to $600 if its literally a deal of a lifetime). But, many things I find in this range tend to be either: a) way over-priced for what they are, or b) they sell before I can even get an email sent!

So I do realize I may have to go with something that needs a good amount of TLC, which is totally fine with me. I just don't want to over-pay for it and then need to devote tons of extra time and money to bring it up to snuff anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Behrenbrinker View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice, really appreciate it!
    Based on feedback, I'll probably keep looking, for a while at least. Maybe go back with another ~$400 offer if its still around in a few weeks and I haven't found anything better.

Matt Day - I did verify the height and tilt mechanisms achieve full travel with the custom motor mount. It does appear to have been done in a quality manner at least.

Chris Hachet or Bill Bukovec - I'm thinking the "hang around other woodworkers and let them know I'm in the market" strategy would be best as well. However, I'm fairly "new to the game" so to speak, and am not very in-touch with the local community as of yet. I've garnered good advice from some of the more specialty woodworking shops in my area, (Woodcraft, etc if you know the twin cities), but not much beyond that. Can you (or anyone else too for that matter) offer any advice on other places, opportunities, forums, ways to interact with other woodworkers, etc... that might be beneficial for me to check out and get involved with?

Lastly, one of my main issues is that my budget has a pretty firm cap around $500 (possibly stretch to $600 if its literally a deal of a lifetime). But, many things I find in this range tend to be either: a) way over-priced for what they are, or b) they sell before I can even get an email sent!

So I do realize I may have to go with something that needs a good amount of TLC, which is totally fine with me. I just don't want to over-pay for it and then need to devote tons of extra time and money to bring it up to snuff anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

-Max
    Let me play the devils advocate-this is still far more saw than anything you will buy at a big box store for anything close to $500. I think you should keep on looking, but remember if you have to drive 4 hours and spend $60 in gas to bring a saw home a $400 saw 4 hours away is now a $550 saw if you value your labor at a nominal amount.

The biggest drawback to me is the lack of the original 3 Hp 3 phase motor-that is nearly indestructible. YMMV.

You might check in at Old Woodworking machines, there is a Unisaw for sale in the Classified section (BOYD) you will ahve to register to see the classified. You might place a want to buy advert in BOYD also.

Still a nice saw,if you piece it out just for giggles/grins lets say each wing is around 50.00 ea.Then the dust door that's about 75.00 since it still has the knob and badge which at 75 is a good price.How bout 150.00 for the motor which I see them going for little more.Hand wheels that has the knobs and the wedge inside of the shaft which is highly in demand so there 75.00 or so for the pair.Oh and the cast iron base which lots of them are crack from being move around and has been welded so if no cracks there then 50.00 plus.Oh and that old style push button contactor what ya think about 50.00.Well heck what about all the inner parts,check out ebay and see what they go far.Cabinet that's in good shape which you also see some Unisaw cabinets looks like they been stored in salt water,what to do with the top and that table insert,miter gage and the fence well the fence I say is 100.00?Go to the auction site and look under Unisaw,I don't know??????
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 03-20-2017 at 6:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Still a nice saw,if you piece it out just for giggles/grins lets say each wing is around 50.00 ea.Then the dust door that's about 75.00 since it still has the knob and badge which at 75 is a good price.How bout 150.00 for the motor which I see them going for little more.Hand wheels that has the knobs and the wedge inside of the shaft which is highly in demand so there 75.00 or so for the pair.Oh and the cast iron base which lots of them are crack from being move around and has been welded so if no cracks there then 50.00 plus.Oh and that old style push button contactor what ya think about 50.00.Well heck what about all the inner parts,check out ebay and see what they go far.Cabinet that's in good shape which you also see some Unisaw cabinets looks like they been stored in salt water,what to do with the top and that table insert,miter gage and the fence well the fence I say is 100.00?Go to the auction site and look under Unisaw,I don't know??????
    Or to play devil's advocate again, what is it worth intact as a machine making smiles and sawdust? I have seen some astonishingly rough Unisaws in the two and three hundred dollar range.

You can find a Unisaw in better condition with original parts and accessories for same price or not much more. Might even include accessories like blades or mobile base.

If you are finding yourself late to the party, then you can set alert on CraigsList so you receive an email alert when a new listing for a Unisaw or Delta is posted. I do this sometimes when what I am looking for is popular.

Did not know bout alert,I'll have to try figure that out.That is neat,always a day late--

I now have it,that is fantastic Bob,thanks for posting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    You can find a Unisaw in better condition with original parts and accessories for same price or not much more. Might even include accessories like blades or mobile base.

If you are finding yourself late to the party, then you can set alert on CraigsList so you receive an email alert when a new listing for a Unisaw or Delta is posted. I do this sometimes when what I am looking for is popular.

Found another, couple other questions:
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...055908501.html

he said the saw was made in '94.
    Im wondering, I know the unisaws started becoming "globally sourced" in the 90's, how does this change the resale value compared to an older totally "made in USA" Unisaw?
    Also, any other specific concerns on the unisaws of this era?

Thanks again in advance!

As an aside, I have a 3hp Bridgewood saw which is a carbon copy of the Unisaw. Likely made overseas shortly after Delta outsourced- probably same as the saw you just posted. I've had no problems with it, and for all intents and purposes it's a Unisaw. I plan on selling it; probably starting in the $800 range and will negotiate. Mine has a biesemeyer fence which is a big upgrade to the one on that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Behrenbrinker View Post
    Found another, couple other questions:
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...055908501.html

he said the saw was made in '94.
    Im wondering, I know the unisaws started becoming "globally sourced" in the 90's, how does this change the resale value compared to an older totally "made in USA" Unisaw?
    Also, any other specific concerns on the unisaws of this era?

Thanks again in advance!
    I don't think they were installing Jet Lock (round tube rail) fences on that new of a Unisaw. They were Unifence and Biesmeier. If you are interested in it, it is probably much older, which isn't a problem if the saw is in good enough condition to be worth what he's asking, but plan on installing a better fence on it after you get it.

Charley