Thread: Hickory Bowl with Natural Edge

Hickory Bowl with Natural Edge

Just finished this one up from one of the pieces of hickory I was given a week or two ago. I used the microwave method to dry it, but got some micro checking. Used thin CA in the checks and also soaked the bark edging good to keep it on there. One thin coat of poly so far. Need to coat the bottom, but will build up the finish with a few layers once this dries. using 50% gloss poly and 50% mineral spirits. Need to build myself a kiln.

Thanks for any feedback!

Greg, that has some pretty figure and a beautiful color to it. It's cool how the bark is still attached. It wasn't what I was expecting with the title natural edge! You have mucho courage turning that with a recess that shares the bark. Any issues with it holding or am I being paranoid?
    USMC '97-'01

No issues. I used a nova G3 chuck with standard 50mm jaws. I positioned it so that the split in the jaws was in the opening so the jaw pushed on both sides. Probably doesn't make sense but it had a very good grip. I also started at lower rpm and moved up as I trued the surface