Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop journals

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts on shop journals. I have several hard cover notebooks on a shelf. Would be an advantage to have it on computer particularly when you want to "search" for something you did 4 years ago! On the other hand it is nice to sit at my workbench with my coffee in the morning and make notes or draw sketches. I will sometimes cut out a picture of a piece of furniture or a turning from a magazine or catalog and just tape it to the page for future reference. Also since I am often working on several things at once, I find it helpful to have noted where I am in terms of the finishing process.

I start most large projects with a loose leaf notebook sectioned off with plans, materials and costs, and notes. I really try to keep up on the notes but often forget. I agree that it is very useful to be able to go back and look up what you did and how and why.

David Hepler, Thank You kindly, for posting your works in wood working. I have read the introduction and have saved your book to enjoy reading in the near future.

Michael,
    You are most welcome. There is quite a variety in that book. I hope you find some things that are useful. I will welcome any comments and questions you may have
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Michael,
    You are most welcome. There is quite a variety in that book. I hope you find some things that are useful. I will welcome any comments and questions you may have
    Doug
    I downloaded the book last night. Wow, what an ambitious project! I paged through it but it will take a while to read! Have you printed any paper copies through one of those self publishing companies? I'd consider buying a copy.

JKJ

John,

Thank you for your comment. Ambitious? Yes.

Regarding paper copies, I can make a copy at my local printing service and perfect-bind it by hand with a soft cover. I could make one for you if you like, for whatever it actually costs me. At 10 cents/page I guess that would cost me around $50.

I am working on print-on-demand (Amazon) but I have to resolve some technical details first. The priority that I give to getting this available for print-on-demand will depend on the feedback I get from people like yourself.

Regarding reading the book -- I'll appreciate any comments you might have. It's a mixture of handbook ("how-to" task or operations oriented material) and essays (commentaries on our craft). The essays might be fun/interesting. The handbook material is very task oriented and is meant to help intermediate woodworkers learn specific operations. I suspect that you may be past that.

Anyway, let me know what you think

Best regards

Doug