Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescents are a bad way to light a woodshop

Lou,

Lotsa' northern light is why I made my entire northern roof plastic. It's great. Terrible for insulation, but great for the eyes. I don't have any lighting right now. I've been working out there for two months and the natural light is terrific, even on cloudy days. Of course, work stops when the sun goes down.

Roger,

Thanks for all the info. Like most, I take into account all suggestions, pro and non-pro, from this site, then, make up my own mind what's best for me. After all, I'm the one who has to work and play in the shop.

The best advice so far has been "I'm one of the odd fellows who actually reads the instruction sheets." Thanks John, for reminding me. I'm one of the regular guys that needs to be reminded by one of the "odd" guys.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I'm laughing out loud

My buddy Roger Myers has at every opportunity over the years mentioned over and over how he refuses to get involved in any discussion on lighting. I just had to take this opportunity to bust his chops and observe that you should never say never. For those of you who think I might be a bit on the harsh side, you have to understand a little bit. He has busted MY chops for years about the cleanliness level of my shop and about whether or not I ever do any woodworking in that "pristine atmosphere". I figure that turnabout is fairplay.

As for Roger's credentials. He has been in the lighting business for well over 20 years at every level from quality engineeer to plant manager. He is currently the VP of Quality at one of the 2 or 3 largest manufacturers of lighting in the world. In deference to his sense of propriety, we won't mention which one.

Finally, it's bust 'em time again. Gotcha Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH

Finally, it's bust 'em time again. Gotcha Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Good Buddy.... There will be payback!

By the way Dave, I know you said that during Sue's unexpected time off she hemmed the curtains in your shop, but I don't think that I or my fellow creekers have seen pictures of them yet

What's a hem? Come to think of it, what's a curtain?

John
    John Bailey

John,

I think "Hem" is as in "hem and haw", like when I hem and haw about when I'm going to get the nightstand I'm working on completed. "Curtains" is me if I don't get it done soon.

- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ault
    John,

I think "Hem" is as in "hem and haw", like when I hem and haw about when I'm going to get the nightstand I'm working on completed. "Curtains" is me if I don't get it done soon.
    What is this "done" you speak of? It is a concept totally unfamiliar to me...

"Done" as in "Done for!" I am familiar with that one.

John
    John Bailey

Haw Haw Haw!!!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers
    Thanks Good Buddy.... There will be payback!

By the way Dave, I know you said that during Sue's unexpected time off she hemmed the curtains in your shop, but I don't think that I or my fellow creekers have seen pictures of them yet

Hahaha! That's hilarious!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Come on Dave, I can't help but think that, given that you are such a sensitive guy, you would truly appreciate a fine set of shop curtains. And, I find it even harder to think that you would not want to share with us a pix or two of these fine shop additions. Roger, I didn't find you edgy when when we met, but apparently you and Dave have a unique relationship. Maybe if Dave is shy, you might have a shot of these hand crafted textiles?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how cool it is when the tablesaw blade grabs a hold of a tiny, offcut piece of wood and fires it at the ceiling where the 8 ft fluorescent fixtures live - *PINGGGG* - *CRASH*.

DAMHIKT
    Kevin, I know about that problem. It's happened to me TWICE! I finally went to the Borg and bought those clear plastic sleeves that contain the glass if they break. Of course since I have installed them, about two years ago, I haven't broken another one
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

OK You Clowns

Since it's my turn to get ragged on I'll start another thread either tonite or tomorrow and post a picture or two of my bench room complete with curtains. Maybe Roger Myers and Alan Turner will be kind enough to chip in the funds necessary for me to add the finishing touches such as a nice braided rug and a Queen Anne high back padded armchair so I can comfortably read my woodworking books.

Stay tuned for the next installment in this continuing saga.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

13. Still have a problem...

Roger - one of the best posts I've found, but still doesn't cover my problem, so maybe you can help!

My shop is a 20 x 20 garage. No windows and unpainted sheetrock ceiling, 8' high. I have a combination of 4' and 8' flourescent lights, supplemented with incandescents mounted on tools or clamped here and there. My problem is that the average life of t8's the 4' ceiling mounted $10 fixtures seems to be 6-8 weeks. The 8' seem to last much longer. Over the past year or so I've tried leaving all the flourescents on all the time. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've even changed fixtures. They have all come from a big box and all have starters, not ballasts. (The last time I replaced the ballast in the 8' fixture, I decided I didn't want to do that again.) One of the 4' fixtures (that has stayed on for several years) actually melted the transformer. It almost fell out of the fixture, but by the time I discovered it, everything was cool and seemed to still be working fine - but it still burns out tubes as fast as the other units.

I'm still using "economy" grade lights, rated at 2,000 hrs. If I can't get more than several hundred from these, I don't know what a "better" light whou do, other than cost more.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Robert

I cannot believe the number of post on this subject. If you want accurate color rendition, move your work out into the sunlight. Artificial lighting, no matter which kind, is not going to be the same. As far as flourescent, cool white(cw, the most common kind,) is not going to give you accurate colors. The best you can get with fluorescent, is ww(warm white), which gives you the closest approximation to incandescent lighting. even those are different. lots of luck.

Who here gets power for $.08/kwH???