Thread: 32 yrs in the Air Force and still going

32 yrs in the Air Force and still going

I recently went over 32 yrs on active duty in the Air Force and thought I would share. I joined planning to get a degree and move on. I quickly found I loved this life, the people I worked with and being able to serve this great country of ours. I kept saying I would retire at a certain time, but kept finding something new to keep me wanting to stay. The latest was the chance to come back to Europe. My wife and I love to travel. And now I'm taking one more assignment simply because my choice was to stay where I wanted to or to have to find a job for another few years before I retire for good. Thankfully the AF let me stay for another 3 yrs and doing something I want to do.

Throughout the years I've had numerous people thank me for my service. It always made me feel a bit weird. What do you say to someone thanking you for doing something that is exactly what you want to do? It's like thanking me for eating a bowl of ice cream (which I also love). There was always that awkward moment of what do I say. Yes there are hardships. Long hours, time away from family (sometimes for over a year) and we have to move every 2-4 yrs. Sometimes to places we may not want to go such as a warm sandy place in a far-away desert. Moving from the states to overseas or back means going without pretty much all of your household goods for at least 4 months while living out of suitcase, not to mention showing up somewhere without a house and having to find one in a matter of weeks...all part of the joy. But I've come to appreciate the gesture of a simple thank you. Not just for me, but for my family. I love what I do and to some degree they enjoy moving around, but it is hardship for my wife and kids to uproot from friends and the things they come to enjoy. The kids obviously have no choice, but they never complain about moving. Maybe because it's just the norm for them. I've overcome the awkward feeling when someone thanks me, by thanking them back and letting them know I appreciate the gesture. It makes me feel good and I hope it makes them feel good as well.

I look forward to another wonderful 3 yrs as I move back to the states in few a months. It will be nice being able to understand the language, read menus and most important...have parking spots that my car actually fits in And of course, a workshop that's not in a cellar.

So from me to everyone out there, thank you for letting me serve you for all these years. It has been pleasure.

Robert,at the risk of making you uncomfortable - - Thank you for your service! And congrats on the career choice as well as the 3-yr extension.

Perhaps you'll appreciate the following tales - -

My dad spent 20 yrs in the USAF. He enlisted in 1946 and held every rank from buck Private (AAC) to Captain (except MSGT). His first job after training was flight engineer on B-17s, then same on B-29s. In early 50's, his aircraft commander got him a slot in pilot training and he spent the next several years yankin' and bankin' F-86Ds and F-102s. Last duty was tracking satellites inside Cheyenne Mountain for NORAD. Along the way a wife and 3 sons were acquired. I was born in Germany, lived the life you describe for your kids - - and after 10 schools in 12 yrs, I'm only a little tiny bit twisted. Yours will be fine, I'm sure. My dad would have stayed for 30 too (he loved it as well - and still does), but SecDef McNamara made it impossible for reserve commissioned officers to get promoted, so Dad retired.

I used to be amazed at the span of technology my father saw, but a friend of my dad spent 36 yrs. He started as a driver of a tank destroyer in WWII, and retired a full colonel and squadron commander launching Titan missiles out of Vandenberg. And in the middle, did 3 tours in Vietnam in the back seat of an F-4. He is small in stature, but a giant among warriors (IMHO).

I wish you success and a safe tour. And again, THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-16-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Well here is another Thank You!!! Glad that you were able to find something in your life that was both enjoyable and rewarding. Many people go through life just getting up and going to work and not really enjoying what they were doing. Hope things work out and someday you do get to retire and enjoy that part of life too. There will come the time to step aside and having a hobby is a real good plan. Woodworking has been mine.
    John T.

I will suggest we owe you the thanks Robert!

Thank you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As a fellow career Airman, let me add my thanks, also. I only did 22 years, and retired as an E-7, MSgt. I was happy to retire as promotions were extremely limited and my grade was way over loaded. On my last assignment, I was in the middle, Date of Rank wise of 18 E-7's, in an organization that should have had maybe 5 or 6. But, I am proud of my service, and will always thank a veteran for his/her service. I just wish my military training/experience was better appreciated/valued by the civilian world when I retired. I've never earned as much in civilian life as I did as an E-7. totally retired now, comfortable, but can't afford to do the things my non-vet contemporaries or siblings can. Remember that career military folks gave the best years of their life to our great country...

Chuck

Thank you Robert!
    Fred

Enjoy your time and thanks.

Right on Robert! I'm retired Navy, I feel the same way, the Navy was fun and a good deal for me, I'm always taken aback a little when folks solemnly thank me for my service...

...I've had numerous people thank me for my service. It always made me feel a bit weird. What do you say to someone thanking you...
    Perhaps a simple "Thank-you" back to them, with a "I appreciate that.

Oh. and Thank You!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...