Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New turning

New turning

Here's a new turning I did this weekend. It was green wood, don't know the kind since it came out of a pile of logs but is likely ash or maple. I used my new hollower to do the inside and it was so easy. It's about 8" in diameter and 5" high. I finished it with BLO, then dewaxed shellac, then oil-modified, water-based poly. I dyed the inside black. I gave it to my wife to put on her bookshelf at work. She likes the high-gloss finish. I think it turned out pretty good. I had a lot of trouble on the outside with tearout on the endgrain though. I sanded it for a LONG. That was frustrating. Overall though I'm happy with it. I keep turning and keep learning.
    2.jpg1.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg
    Thanks for looking,

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

Blog Entries
    Well I was going to post a pic of an OO bowl I turned today, but the competition is fierce, it seems.
    Very nice piece, Adam.

It does look very nice, does it not?
    C&C WELCOME

Great job, very nice piece. The black inside really adds to it.

Nice looking piece but I especially like the light up wheels on your steady rest
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Adam. That is a great turning. I know what you mean about tearout. I was having a lot. I watched a lot of videos using the gouge. I am in a turning club and had one of the experienced members show me how to to use the bowl gouge properly. He spent a couple of hours where I learned to "ride the bevel". I still need to practice, but the finish was so smooth and just about no tearout.

Now, that is a cool steady rest. Tell more about that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Nice work Adam! Can't do any better than creating something that the wife likes!

Question - why did you have tearout on the outside endgrain? What tool were you using to turn the form?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Nice looking piece but I especially like the light up wheels on your steady rest
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got sidetracked on that .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Well I was going to post a pic of an OO bowl I turned today, but the competition is fierce, it seems.
    Very nice piece, Adam.
    Thanks Bill. Post yours too, we need to see more work here! What's an OO bowl by the way, I've never heard that before?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    It does look very nice, does it not?
    Thank you Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Great job, very nice piece. The black inside really adds to it.
    Thanks Daryl, I really like the pieces I've seen with black interiors. I think it adds a depth to the final piece, makes it look infinite inside. I think the black dye I used worked well but I'll definitely sanding seal the inside first next time. I started to get bleed through on the bottom which luckily got turned off when I finished the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Thanks Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Adam. That is a great turning. I know what you mean about tearout. I was having a lot. I watched a lot of videos using the gouge. I am in a turning club and had one of the experienced members show me how to to use the bowl gouge properly. He spent a couple of hours where I learned to "ride the bevel". I still need to practice, but the finish was so smooth and just about no tearout.

Now, that is a cool steady rest. Tell more about that.
    Thanks William. I was definitely riding the bevel but I think I was cutting the wrong direction. There's a post on the steady rest a few weeks old now on here. It's based off of Steve Schlumpf's design. It's oak that I painted. I ordered the roller blade wheels and didn't realize they light up but you know what? I kinda like them! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nice work Adam! Can't do any better than creating something that the wife likes!

Question - why did you have tearout on the outside endgrain? What tool were you using to turn the form?
    Thanks Steve. I don't know why I couldn't beat that end grain. I was using a freshly sharpened bowl gouge (several actually as I tried to win the battle). I tried sheer scraping with them, I tried using my skew as a neg. rake scraper....I think maybe, reading the recent post about tearout, that I was cutting the wrong direction. I was moving large diameter to small diameter, but maybe the way I had it oriented I was cutting uphill and pulling up the fibers. I even put sanding sealer on it to lock the fibers but no avail. It was a fail in that regard, but a learning process so I'm not too frustrated. It's a process right? I'm pretty new at this.
    USMC '97-'01

Nice piece Adam. Looks good. I wish I hadn't seen your post, because now I have to go buy some rollerblades with wheels that light up. That is one cool looking steady rest. Color me jealous.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Blog Entries
    Osage orange, Adam.

Thanks Brian!

Ahhhhh yes....osage orange. I really want to see it now. Next time I visit my sister in law in Illinois I'm bringing some of that home with me. They have a row of them along their fence that they hate and would love gone.
    USMC '97-'01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Thanks Brian!
    Ahhhhh yes....osage orange. I really want to see it now. Next time I visit my sister in law in Illinois I'm bringing some of that home with me. They have a row of them along their fence that they hate and would love gone.
    Easy, Adam. We here in Illinois keep an inventory of our OO.

Blog Entries
    Adam, since you seem drawn to OO, here's one from 3 nights ago. This shot brings out subtle nuances such as my signiture that goes into every one of my bowls...hollow ing too deep, striking screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Adam, since you seem drawn to OO, here's one from 3 nights ago. This shot brings out subtle nuances such as my signiture that goes into every one of my bowls...hollow ing too deep, striking screws.
    I posted on your other post too but I wanted to say, that is a nice looking bowl. I like the form, the lip and the wood and your finish. That sucks that the screw holes poked through. I do like me some OO.
    USMC '97-'01