Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Quality 10" Cabinet Saw

I use a Grizzly and Unisaw on a regular basis. I would rather have a decent used Unisaw over the Grizzly any day. Never used a Sawstop so I dont really know, but if you can afford it, the safety factor is huge. I used a table saw daily at work for 35 years and the only injury I had came from knot that kicked back and caught my finger. That doesnt mean a finger/blade accident couldn't happen though.

2. Embrace the technology, I recommend a saw stop. Since purchasing mine I have yet to go to the shop and say, I wish I had spent less for a saw. Instead I say I'm glad I got the correct saw (for me) (the first time). The saw stop is an engineering marvel. And super accurate and powerful. Hard to go wrong. I realize all machines can take a finger off mighty quick. Just if the technology is there with the table saw go for it. If I could get a jointer with this safety feature I would.

1. Sawstop ICS
    2. Powermatic PM2000 these two are very close

3. Sawstop PCS

I did not rank the Delta Uni which probably comes in at #3 but the company has been in flux and the production line has been moved more than once and I am never sure when/where one I am looking at was built.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-14-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    There really is no best. Assuming all saws cut the same the only thing left is accessories. You really can't get this kind of information on a hobby forum anyway.

If price and safety is not a factor but quality is, then its still the SawStop.

Quality? No one makes a quality 10" saw that I'm aware of. You have to get bigger to get into the good stuff.

I started in 1984 with a 1970s unisaw with a very early Biesemeyer fence. Great saw. I got the bug to switch to a Powermatic 66 in 1990, great saw. When my wife saw a video of the Sawstop ICS at a tool store she insisted that I get one. That saw IMHO was a clear step up from the Unisaw and PM66. With the Unisaw and PM66, you can't adjust for blade heel (Google that). All you can do is shim the saw to split the error but you can't adjust it. The Sawstop is adjustable in every direction and super well made. Clearly better made that today's new Powermatic, Jet, Griz, and the Unisaws until Delta sold.

Having said that, after the Sawstop I got a 1970s used 12" SCMI jointer and the build quality was a huge step up from anything I'd owned up until then. Soon after rebuilding the jointer I ordered a Felder 700 series slider/shaper combo and sold my Sawstop and PM26 shaper. The slider is superior in every way to the cabinet saw. So I'd say:
    1) Euro Slider
    2) Sawstop ICS
    3) PM66 or Jet (color preference)
    4) Griz
    5) No Delta as they are effectively out of business for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Quality? No one makes a quality 10" saw that I'm aware of. You have to get bigger to get into the good stuff.

Been using my 5 HP Sawstop ICS for 6 years now of daily use. I'd say, after the majority of my 46 1/2 years working in a custom shop... I can say its a decent quality saw. Prob my fave of the half dozen we've either owned or Ive run in other shops Ive worked in (Unisaws and general). Our last Unisaw was bought new in 88' and is still running in my old shop, several hours a day.

As for cutting, they all cut fine with a good setup and blade. I will say, after having several 3Hp cabinet saws, I would never go back from 5Hp and might even go to a 7.5Hp if I had to choose again.

For a 10" cabinet saw, and what it does in our shop (mainly ripping hardwoods) I really couldnt ask for much more than what the Sawstop does. Decent fence, holds setup well, smooth and stays clean (good dust collection and I like the guard a lot).
    Andrew J. Coholic

I think what most are saying about the ICS is fair. It is top of the 10" heap. Absent the safety stuff, most 12-14" saws are a much heavier build than the 10", even the ICS and a real bargain for those inclined. If you want a new 10" saw, the ICS is pick of the litter. Lots of other saws I'd prefer for the price, including sliders because larger saws are really cheap on the used market and will still be alive when most of the 10" are gone. Dave

It's not so much bigger as heavier. For example, the best is likely to be the made in USA Northfield no. 4. It will take a 14" blade, but since 3" would be above the top with that blade, measured in the same way as prosumer 10" that might be called a 8" saw, A bit pricy at about $15,000.

That's overdoing it a bit don't you think? We're talking hobby stufff here, and he did say cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Been using my 5 HP Sawstop ICS for 6 years now of daily use. I'd say, after the majority of my 46 1/2 years working in a custom shop... I can say its a decent quality saw. Prob my fave of the half dozen we've either owned or Ive run in other shops Ive worked in (Unisaws and general). Our last Unisaw was bought new in 88' and is still running in my old shop, several hours a day.

As for cutting, they all cut fine with a good setup and blade. I will say, after having several 3Hp cabinet saws, I would never go back from 5Hp and might even go to a 7.5Hp if I had to choose again.

For a 10" cabinet saw, and what it does in our shop (mainly ripping hardwoods) I really couldnt ask for much more than what the Sawstop does. Decent fence, holds setup well, smooth and stays clean (good dust collection and I like the guard a lot).

I have a Tannewitz Type U that could legally drink about the time you were thinking about being a cabinet maker. It will likely last the rest of my career. I have a mid 70's #4 that will also likely last the rest of my career. The two Powermatic 66's in my shop, and the Delta Uni Saw will not fare as well. Cheap boxes full of cheap parts, but at least they are light enough to be thrown away easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That's overdoing it a bit don't you think? We're talking hobby stufff here, and he did say cabinet saw.
    He said quality. Quality has nothing to do with how or who uses it.

Just to throw in some more names how about Wadkin and Clausing.
    Bill D.

I have a Tannewitz Type U that could legally drink about the time you were thinking about being a cabinet maker. It will likely last the rest of my career. I have a mid 70's #4 that will also likely last the rest of my career. The two Powermatic 66's in my shop, and the Delta Uni Saw will not fare as well. Cheap boxes full of cheap parts, but at least they are light enough to be thrown away easily.

He said quality. Quality has nothing to do with how or who uses it.
    And this is where things get really dicey for me. As a hobbyist and a guy who builds things for friends, I am extremely happy with my Unisaw. However, I have been given a few chances to buy vintage Tannewitz and Oliver saws and I think I am falling hard for them like I fell hard for my wife when we first started dating 32 years ago. A little tool lust is a dangerous thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    And this is where things get really dicey for me. As a hobbyist and a guy who builds things for friends, I am extremely happy with my Unisaw. However, I have been given a few chances to buy vintage Tannewitz and Oliver saws and I think I am falling hard for them like I fell hard for my wife when we first started dating 32 years ago. A little tool lust is a dangerous thing...

Slope is slippery indeed. Tear into a 75 year old machine and see helical gears, thrust bearings for every handwheel, 63xx spindle bearings and adjusting gibs every place that could wear. Bases cast to carry heavy internals rather than hanging them off the top or sheet steel. Fine grain meehanite graded cast iron planed to tolerances too expensive to duplicate today, and you realize that in their own way, these machines are art. Run 24/7 for 50 years, sit for 25 and still clean up and adjust to zero runout. Whitney, Greenlee, Yates, Tanny, Oliver, Wadkin, and Robinson. May not make any of us a better woodworker but it does change our perceptions of how machines can be made. Not for everyone but it doesn't take much cash to try it. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 03-15-2017 at 12:24 AM.