Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice on puchase of sharpening jig

As long as the handles tighten down correctly, I'd probably buy this lot for 40 bucks if I was looking. However, isn't that Vari-1 pictured the early generation Vari-1 with the clip/spring hold-down versus the later style with the plastic hub which I believe to be more desirable. Like this one......
    Vari 1.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    As long as the handles tighten down correctly, I'd probably buy this lot for 40 bucks if I was looking. However, isn't that Vari-1 pictured the early generation Vari-1 with the clip/spring hold-down versus the later style with the plastic hub which I believe to be more desirable. Like this one......
    Vari 1.jpg
    I have no problems with the original version. If you like that one better you could make one or get the upgrade kit.
    https://oneway.ca/products-category/...Retrofit%20Kit
    Note that there are two versions for the Varigrind - the original with the metal spring and one that will fit much larger gouges (seldom needed or even wanted by "normal" turners). I see on the Oneway site the big one appears to have that plastic piece.

I can't remember if I mentioned it here or in another thread, but there are a number of people, including me, who don't like the new Vari-grind 2 because of the way it works. I bought one and just keep it around to show people what I don't like about it.

JKJ

Thank you for your posts and advice I contacted the person selling the jig and he has the located the long v arm We have agreed a price of $50 including postage
    Further I plan to sell the grinder and have identfied this grinder as a possible replacement

Creusen DS 7500TS UK 230V 1~50Hz

SKU: 003080

Creusen DS 7500TS UK 230V 1~50Hz
    DS 7500TS UK 230V 1~50Hz 003080
    MODEL DS 7500TS UK
    Voltage V 230
    ~1
    Hz 50
    Power Watt 350
    Speed min-1 1400-1700
    Per. speed m/sec 11-13
    Grinding wheel 150 x 40 x 15
    150 x 40 x 15
    Grit 60/100
    Noise level dB (A) 55
    Weight Kg 12

Thank you for your help and advice

The person selling the jig has located the long arm with the v notch and we have agreed a price of $50 including postage

Had the wolverine set up for a while. Recently went to Sorby Pro Edge and I prefer it. It's quick and painfully simple and more consistent for me.

I also have gone the Pro edge route and absolutely love it . It is so easy to go from one angle to another, from scrapers to bowl gouges in seconds. The only hard part is writing the check, kind of pricy at $500.00. I also own the Tormek system (Jet knock off) which is now gathering dust along with my bench grinder.

[QUOTE=casey herring;2670123]Had the wolverine set up for a while. Recently went to Sorby Pro Edge and I prefer it. It's quick and painfully simple and more consistent for

I came across these links

This shows how to set the angle on

Oneway Wolverine Grinding Jig and Vari-Grind attachment

Please note you need to print a copy of the jig in the post below and use it as a template to set th angle of the jig

Set the arm on the Vari-Grind to the same angle shown in the picture.

http://thompsonlathetools.com/wp-con...Sharpening.pdf

and please see

http://thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening/

This link shows another method of seting the jig
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 03-17-2017 at 6:09 AM.