Thread: Upgrading lathe

1. Upgrading lathe

Hi guys I am new here. Thanks for the add. I just bought a use lathe online and its bone stock, I am trying to upgrade the chuck and tailstock. Would would like to be able to turn pens but also turn some bowls. What would be a good way to go with my setup? I can't seem to find any conversion for my tailstock.?.? Thanks guys. I don't know how to post pictures so j need help with that too.

Interesting lathe - - what brand and model?

To upgrade your headstock for a pen chuck, you will first want to measure the thread diameter and pitch. Most screw-on chucks depend on having a flat area for the chuck to register against. I don't know if that may be an issue. If you want to do pens, perhaps a drill chuck might work if it has the correct threads.

On the tailstock, most of the modern lathes have a #1, 2 or 3 MT (depends on the size of the lathe). That is basically a tapered hole that you put things like a live center or drill, etc. I see that your lathe doesn't support this. But perhaps something could be custom made or might be available from the mfr.

3. I can't find anything on brand or model number on it so I don't know where to look for information on it. The tail stock is what I was most concerned about because it just treads in and out. I will get more info to you guys later tonight when I get home.

4. Ok here are some more pictures of my lathe. I am pretty sure the headstock and tailstock is 5/8.

5. Last edited by David Keith Kansas City, MO; 03-13-2017 at 6:39 PM.

I see these on sale on Craig's list. The ad said that it was mfd. by Ctekindustries dot com and another web site is http://californiatoolsandequipment dot com/ Check it on-line and contact the distributor. Perhaps they can advise you regarding accessories. The CL ad showed a faceplate.

5/8" threaded spindle is not particularly common - - but not knowing the threads per inch and the word "probably" in your description, it is hard to really know . 3/4 x 16 tpi and 1 x 8 is more common.

It is a really light duty beginner's lathe. So, perhaps play with it, learn and see if you like wood turning. If you do, then perhaps you'll want to graduate to something a bit bigger and which can accept standard accessories. I started on a Sears 9" x 30" lathe and spent 3 or 5 years making a bunch of bowls and goblets before upgrading.

7. Thank you for your help. I sent them an email. So hopefully I will hear back from them soon. I will measure again, might be 3/4. Would there be any way a modern tail stock would fit on it? I would hate to just junk it because I couldn't get parts for it.

8. I measured it again and you were right, it is 3/4". I have an idea that should work for my tailstock (getting a Jacobs chuck to attach to it) I will post pictures when I get it all figured out. So what would a good chuck for my headstock. Been looking at 4 jaws.

you need to put a scale next to the spindle and count the number of threads per inch or half inch. 3/4 x 16 is common but 3/4 or 20 x 1.25 mm is not. So, how could a person recommend a 4-jaw chuck w/o knowing if it existed. If it was me and I couldn't figure it out exactly, I would buy a 3/4 x 16 or whatever nut and see if it spun on. If you can't find locally, order on-line.

BTW, a low-end 3/4x16 chuck starts around 60 bucks plus shipping (Grizzly). It only has a single set of jaws. On my first lathe, I did 3 or 4 years of turning with a faceplate before buying a chuck. Buying a $60 or $100 chuck for a $130 lathe doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You would be better off buying a used lathe with some accessories.

10. Well I took my parts a mechine shop and "turns" out the thread pitch IS M18x2.50. So I talked with the guy there and he is making me the right parts for what I want to do. I will post pictures later when I get the part back. He is also making me an adaptor for he headstock to convert it from m18x2.50 to whatever chuck I decide to get. Surely, someone else out there has an old lathe like this??? LOL

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Keith Kansas City, MO View Post
    Well Surely, someone else out there has an old lathe like this??? LOL
    No offense intended here, so please do not take it that way The lathe you have in the pics above is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, and are sold by a few vendors I have seen over the years. They are tube metal, and have odd spindle sizes, are under powered, and just are not good machines at all.

I would very much encourage you to try to find a decent midi lathe or a use one that has a cast iron frame and has a spindle size of 1X8 tpi spindle, so that you can find readily available chucks, drives and other accessories. You can spend more on getting this lathe useful to you than it is worth, and still have a poorly performing unit.

A Jet mini/midi, or a Grizzly midi lathe, or a Rikon midi, or Delta 46-460vs would be a good find if used, and new, the Grizzly midi's can be had for a little over $300..........here is a good start:

or even this Harbor Freight clone of the above lathe
    On sale now for $219 and would be much better than your current model.....the clone is likely not as good and may have a smaller motor so check out the specs for sure......these are just some suggestions, so good luck with your challenge! I have as one of my lathes this Delta midi model 46-460, and it can be purchased through Home Depot for $597
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-15-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!