Thread: Anyone turn their laser into a Pen Plotter?

Anyone turn their laser into a Pen Plotter?

Iknow this is rather common with non-laser CNC's but say i wanted to add this functionality to my trotec. Seems pretty simple, right? just strap a writing utensil on the gantry and send your file with 0% power. Of course you dont have pen up and pen down abilities but i've often wondered what it would look like if my complex vector jobs were one continuous line instead of jumping from shape to shape.
    So, has anyone done this? I can think of a few things that could go wrong or reasons to not try but nothing i can't work around. Unlike most laser owners, I bought my trotec speedy 360 with the sole intention of producing art. I'm finding it to be useful in more ways than imagined for art making, but adding the pen-plotting would be even sweeter. Please post any tips, experience or info on the subject and i'd greatly appreciate it!!
    Last edited by Dave Garrett; 03-12-2017 at 7:36 PM. Reason: minor typos
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

The vinyl cutting plotter does a great job with pens, but only does line art. I haven't had the need to try it with the laser, but the idea is intriguing. Maybe a spring loaded pen to have sufficient pressure, but the problem would be not being able to lift it for moving from one place to another if the artwork is not a all connected. I suppose you would just print in sections to get around that. I may have to try some day, maybe mount it on the magnetic height adjustment tool.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I haven't tried this but the main problem I can see is a laser engraver doesn't work like a pen plotter or Cnc router, it doesn't move its tool head with a z axis. You wouldn't have the ability to pick up the pen from the build plate - So you would have to have a continuous line though the work.
    With a pen plotter or a CNC router with that attachment (Companies offer it as a option) the pen moves up and down similar to how a router would work. Make a cut then lift and move to the next cut area - Your pen would hit the line and then raise to the next section. Lasers are not designed to do this, Im sure you could get it to work but why waste the effort when you can pickup a pen plotter for cheap (Under $3000) with the same area as your speedy. Use your speedy for the work its meant to be used for - high speed engraving and you'll get the most out of the machine (Cutting too).

P.s. - I guess if your bored and want a fun project it might be a cool widget but I dont think you would get repeatable results used a laser CNC setup
    Cool Video on a Low Cost CNC (Looks like a 4k ebay Find)
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 03-12-2017 at 6:41 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC