Thread: This years mash paddle - arm bones.

This years mash paddle - arm bones.

Something a bit different for this years homebrew club competition, an arm bone mash paddle (used to stir the grain, although I suspect the fellow who won it will hang it on the wall next to the open twist one he won last year, its like he's collecting them all ).

IMG_20170311_093215872.jpg IMG_20170310_214813788.jpg IMG_20170311_093234126.jpg

An unusual piece, what is the size of the paddle and the wood?

Its about "arms length" Which worked out to around 30" long. The hand is to scale for my hand and just a bit under 6" wide at the widest part (with lightly splayed fingers).

I used alder, which is most definitely NOT my favourite carving wood, but its relatively soft and I was on a rather short timeline so rapid material removal was a bonus. I was able to mitigate some of that by brushing on a top coat of General Finishes Endurovar which kind of plasticizes the top 0.5-1.0mm or so and allowed cleanup cuts in the troublesome areas (the arm bones were well behaved for the most part, but there was a rather nasty bit of grain reversal right around the little finger that gave me fits).

Very cool, Ryan. Imagine the double take from an unsuspecting guest coming into the kitchen and seeing that sticking out of a huge pot of bubbling liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Very cool, Ryan. Imagine the double take from an unsuspecting guest coming into the kitchen and seeing that sticking out of a huge pot of bubbling liquid.
    Thanks Ted, that was definitely my chuckle for the morning