Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday I bought a DeWalt 500 pound table saw.

Yesterday I bought a DeWalt 500 pound table saw.

Found a DeWalt approximately 1955-63 model 140 table saw. Original motor has been replaced with a TEFC 2 h.p. 240 volt. Original fence, long rails, nice top, overall great condition. I refurbish 0ld table saws as a hobby and make big bucks, sometimes as high as $5.00 an hr. for my time. Will be hard to part with this one, though, as I have the same saw with the Clausing badge on it. Better hope I don't find one of the same with the Atlas badge or I may have to add on to my shop! If you have never seen one, check them out on VintageMachinery.org. Major heavy at around 5 to 600lb. depending on the motor and how many and what type wings. All were made by Atlas-Clausing and identical but three different names. Have the cool dial for the tilt angle reading and are left tilt. My wife was o.k. with it even though I have 4 table saws in the shop at the moment. Bless her heart, I am a happy guy.

Really? No pictures after all that?

Matt,
    My computer doesn't like pasting pictures (blame it on the computer) but here is a link to what I am shooting for. May as well dream big!
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=3089

That's a cool saw! I thought Dewalt only was doing TAS's back then. I do see they were made by Atlas though.

Sure looks different than the plastic fantastic Dewalt portable saw I have!!

That is REALLY cool. Thanks for putting up that pic. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.

Up $5.00/hr? Is that Canadian or American $? Just asking because the 35% differential CAN make a difference.....

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Howard,
    That sure started my day off with a laugh! Thanks!
    Dick

35%? I must be behind the times.

I had an Atlas 8 or 9" TS in the late 60's, and it was old then. My only TS for over 10 years, and it served me well, using only Skil saw blades. Paid $125 for a package deal of workbench, Shop Mate RAS, Sears 12" BS, and the Atlas. Can't remember selling it, I probably gave it to my brother, and it was still working fine. My son in law still has the RAS. I think it was sold by Monkey Ward.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-12-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick,
    My dad bought an eight inch Craftsman in I think 1939 when we got electricity on our rural farm. He worked as a carpenter before WW2 and worked for the Army Air Corps as a civilian carpenter all trough the war. He was very proud of that saw and was the only one he ever owned until about 1986 or thereabouts when the teeth broke off the blade raise mechanisms. Had a 3/4 h.p. motor as best I remember. Now, if we don't have a cabinet saw with at least a 3 h.p. we are looking over the ad's and drooling.
    Times change!
    Dick

Times do change.

My dad also bought an 8" Craftsman TS with a bonus check he got from the State of Ohio, when he was discharged from the Navy at the end of WWII. He used it until about 1982 when he bought a used Craftsman contractor saw. I grabbed it to keep him from selling it. I intended to keep it, but in the 90's a friend needed a saw, and had no money, so I gave it to him. He died without using it, then it went with all his belongings back east, never to be seen again.

I truly regret letting it go.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    Found a DeWalt approximately 1955-63 model 140 table saw. Original motor has been replaced with a TEFC 2 h.p. 240 volt. Original fence, long rails, nice top, overall great condition. I refurbish 0ld table saws as a hobby and make big bucks, sometimes as high as $5.00 an hr. for my time. Will be hard to part with this one, though, as I have the same saw with the Clausing badge on it. Better hope I don't find one of the same with the Atlas badge or I may have to add on to my shop! If you have never seen one, check them out on VintageMachinery.org. Major heavy at around 5 to 600lb. depending on the motor and how many and what type wings. All were made by Atlas-Clausing and identical but three different names. Have the cool dial for the tilt angle reading and are left tilt. My wife was o.k. with it even though I have 4 table saws in the shop at the moment. Bless her heart, I am a happy guy.
    I have this saw as well. Excellent machine, but I'm thinking about parting ways with it so i can get another cabinet saw with a more common arbor size.

Cool looking saw, I didn't realize that Dewalt ever made something like that.

"Monkey Wards"; man I hadn't heard that term in years.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Cool looking saw, I didn't realize that Dewalt ever made something like that.
    They didn't, Atlas/Clausing did.

Proud owner of an actual DeWalt radial arm saw and a Clausing drill press.

Let me guess, you started out refurb'ing a tablesaw for personal use for woodworking, and now spend most of your time refurbishing saws rather than woodworking? Maybe we're relatives.

Wow, that baby's sweet! So you sell/list these refurb's anywhere?? that would fit Perfect, not like my "contractor's" saw has been broken down and stored since it's purchase day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lowetz View Post
    Let me guess, you started out refurb'ing a tablesaw for personal use for woodworking, and now spend most of your time refurbishing saws rather than woodworking? Maybe we're relatives.

Wow, that baby's sweet! So you sell/list these refurb's anywhere?? that would fit Perfect, not like my "contractor's" saw has been broken down and stored since it's purchase day!
    It is a disease. I just dragged home a 1600 pound Whitney 177 from a lumber mill in West Virginia. Should make a really fine saw.

It will join my 1973 Unisaw ( 3 HP, 3 phase VFD, Incra fence and Mitre, runs like a champ) and my 1988 INCA 259.

Negotiating on an Oliver 270.

Yes, it is a clinical illness.