Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor question: 240v to 120v

Compressor question: 240v to 120v

Hey all,

I just bought a spare compressor from my fire dept. Currently it is set to run at 240v but I'm hoping to run it at 120v. The motor has a diagram showing the wires that need to be switched on it but I have a question about hooking up the wires to the compressor. It has this contraption on the side and I'm not 100% sure what it is. Maybe a pressure relief valve?

Anyway, it has two black wires coming in and two black wires going to the motor. Can I just change one of the black wires to a neutral? Or can I bypass this and wire directly to the motor?

Any help would be appreciated!IMG_1003.jpgIMG_1002.jpg
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Don't bypass the pressure switch! You do that, somebody may call the fire department if the compressor goes BOOM! Obviously, you need qualified help.....any of your fireman buddies an electrician?

If possible I would just run a 220 line to the shop.

Doug, you need to check the nameplate on the electric motor to see if it is designed to run on 120. If so the plate should have a wiring diagram on it that shows you what wires need to be moved around.

Most compressors 3hp or greater are 240V only due to the high current inrush on startup.

You will have to switch the wires on the motor and then wire the cord that plugs into the wall with one black one white and one ground

I suspect that the compressor is too big to run on 120V. 1.5hp is about the max and for compressor with "real" 1.5 hp motor the start current would probably trip even a 20 amp breaker. What does the data plate on the motor say about HP and Amps?
    CPeter

What is that switch connected to? does it have any plumbing connected or is just an electrical overload with no pressure sensing? No reason not to switch the neutral as long as the hot lead is switched as well. Never switch the ground lead, ever!
    Bill D.

The switch is screwed into the side of the tank to read tank pressure.
    CPeter

Looks like a pretty large motor to run on 120V. Is there a possibility you could install the compressor where you have 240V available and just extend your air line to it? There are nylon and/or polyurethane air lines that can handle plenty high enough pressures for a woodshop, they're flexible and wouldn't rot if you had bury it. Just a thought FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Hey all,

I just bought a spare compressor from my fire dept. Currently it is set to run at 240v but I'm hoping to run it at 120v. The motor has a diagram showing the wires that need to be switched on it but I have a question about hooking up the wires to the compressor. It has this contraption on the side and I'm not 100% sure what it is. Maybe a pressure relief valve?

Anyway, it has two black wires coming in and two black wires going to the motor. Can I just change one of the black wires to a neutral? Or can I bypass this and wire directly to the motor?

Any help would be appreciated!IMG_1003.jpgIMG_1002.jpg

Your motor nameplate has 2 wiring diagrams on it (low voltage and high voltage) Wire the motor as shown on the plate for 120V. You don't need to change anything at the pressure switch. You then need to put the correct plug on the cord. If you want to be completely correct you should trace the L1 wire to the plug to be sure the hot wire is on the correct spade of the plug. It will run fine if it is swapped with the neutral though.

Don

The big question is what HP is the motor and how many amps does it draw at 110v? Compressors draw heavy amps at start up. Wired for 220v reduces the amp draw to almost half.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Here's a picture of the data plate. It's a 1hp motor and draws 14 amps so I should be able to run it at 120v, right? I only have 6 or 7 receptacles on my garage circuits and this is pretty much the only big draw I'd have. I don't have 240v close to where I want to put the compressor so that's why I wanted to switch it over to 120v. I could always run a 240v line but I prefer not to unless I have to.

IMG_0834.jpg

I wasn't 100% sure what the box was on the side of the compressor as my other compressors are 120v and they don't have it. Since I'm not one for risking injury (although I am a fire fighter ) I won't be bypassing the pressure relief valve. Also, the compressor does have another pressure relieve valve on the front by the pressure gauge.
    Doug Swanson

You shouldn't have any problem running 1hp on 110v. Is it the original motor to the compressor? It seems small for a tank that size.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Should run on 120V fine. Open the junction box on the side of the motor (on the far right of your picture), and there should be 6 wires (labeled "T1" through "T6"), plus two supply wires coming in. Reconnect the wires as illustrated in the picture (T1, T3, T8, and one supply wire connected together, and T2, T5, T4, and the other supply wire connected together).

The motor is not original. The compressor originally came from the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant and was installed in the fire station maybe 15 years ago. My plan is to switch the motor to 120v and see how it runs. If it works, great. If not, I'll run a 240v outlet and switch it back.

And I had a brain toot last night when I said my 120v compressors don't have the relief valve. They have them but they're just covered in a big plastic shroud
    Doug Swanson