Thread: Using Gravograph IS400 as CNC Milling Machine

Using Gravograph IS400 as CNC Milling Machine

Hi,

I'm looking to cut and engrave small shapes 10mm - 30mm from 1.2mm Sterling Silver sheet. I've been informed Gravograph IS400 machines are able to do this. I have also been looking at regular CNC Milling Machines (Which I believe are retrofit by the company I purchase from?). I've read rigidity and ball screws are quite important for precision, I am unsure about the IS400 rigidity, but I don't believe it has ball screws.

My only issue with getting a regular CNC milling machine is all of the wires and the control box. Wires everywhere is a pet hate of mine. Do wires ever get caught when the machine is in operation? Whereas Gravograph is a neat integral machine and Gravograph Engineers can fix it should something go wrong.

With the Gravograph machine, I would be purchasing it with an upgraded spindle.

I've even considered retrofitting one myself using a kit, although I am concerned about reliability of a self-retrofit machine. I run a business and reliability is the most important factor. Should a part go wrong or motor need to be changed, I could do this... but if it came to rewiring of the control box, i'm out of my depth! Are retrofit machines more likely to malfunction? I much prefer the look of CNC routers, with the head moving rather than the table, although i've been informed I would need a Mill. Could I retrofit/convert a CNC Router, to a Mill for cutting metal?

I'm really on the fence at the moment, any input would be really appreciated.

If possible I would also need it to engrave, using a bit of roughly 0.3mm. A fellow business owner I have been speaking to uses the Gravograph IS400 for the same purposes and has had no problems with precision.

Thanks

Hannah

Hannah
    why not try sherline equipment
    they have a milling machine which people make miniature ( running ) engines from
    there may be more accessories available for these machines than a conventional home built machine.
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire