Thread: Epilog startup problem

Epilog startup problem

Hi,
    After many years of faithful service my Epilog Helix (45w) is having a problem on startup. In common with many electrical problems the fault is eratic; sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.
    On activating the power switch the machine will briefly start the fans and then die. A PC and printers on the same circuit may also turn off at this point but can be restarted without issue.
    Retrying the Epilog will usually start the machine and it will run without problem. Or else nothing will happen when I flick the switch, but then it will start OK the next time. All cables appear to be securely attached.
    It's only happened a few times over a couple of days but it looks like there is something amiss. Does this sound like a power supply that's on it's way out? Something even more serious?

Any insights appreciated.

Try powering your laser on another circuit? It hardly sounds like a problem with the Epilog since your PC and printer are [sometimes] being affected. Maybe seasonal changes are to blame, affecting circuit load??
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

If it is the laser causing the problems, I'd suspect the power supply.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

You may have a circuit breaker going bad. Like Chris sez, try plugging into a different circuit and see if that stops the nonsense...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion, or even gave the problem a bit of consideration.
    It seems to have cleared itself up at present...At least until it happens again.

Glad it's working again, but I would suspect something else on that circuit was on at the same time, like a furnace, perhaps, microwave oven, or refrigerator. Just enough overload to cause problems but not to kick the breaker.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green