Thread: Maybe I missed out

Maybe I missed out

I recently answered a Craigslist ad for free maple from a freshly cut tree in a guys yard. When I got there, there was maybe a 40" diameter log about 15' long. That was all besides some branches. Upon closer examination I discovered this was a yard tree that had been severly pruned of all branches many times. This was done to keep the tree low and to make it branch out quite a bit. This can make for a pretty tree some people feel.

I left the top piece of the log. You could see many many branch stubs that had been cut off over the years. My wife and I were exhausted and I quickly said to leave it- too knotty and weird. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Did I leave a diamond in the rough? Anybody ever fooled with something like this?

Thanks
    Tim

I like turning end grain vases with lots of knots in the side walls. It's challenging to stop cracking from the knots, but the results can be quite spectacular.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Yup...spectacular is a good word. I always wanted one of those trees.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Although I'm sure it would look nice, I seriously doubt that I personally would care to turn it. Turning it into something attractive would certainly be the best thing that has ever happened to that poor mistreated tree.
    Bill

I find that some of the ugliest wood on the outside makes for some pretty wood on the inside
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Sounds like you want straight, clean, big, cut round, and dry, ready to turn. Oh I forgot no knots. I wood grab some of that wood. Learning is by doing. Just do it, you won't regret it, I hope.