Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ULS Universal Laser query- failing laser tube maybe? How to tell?

ULS Universal Laser query- failing laser tube maybe? How to tell?

Hi Folks,
    our laser tube was replaced in 2012. The machine is a ULS M-300, (45 watt) and it hadn't done much work after it was renewed.

It was going fine for me after we bought it, last year, but the last two jobs I've done have been an incredible struggle to cut through 3mm acrylic that it normally sails through. I've had to drop the speed down to about 1.5 % and power at 100%. If the speed was 2.5 to 3%, it would not go right through.

If I set it to cut out say 8 acrylic elements, it'll do the first 2 or three OK, then cut less and less as the job progresses. I've had to break cutting down into say 2 pieces at a time instead, and send them, to stop it from running out of grunt partway through a bigger job.

I have double-checked and cleaned the lenses, and I've checked the focus at 2".

Is this a sign the tube probably needs regassing, perhaps, or might there be some simpler fix I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Sounds like tube to me. You're coming up on five years, so I'm not too surprised: they seem to have a "shelf-life" even if they aren't used a lot.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I agree with Lee, though shelf life is unpredictable. My first ULS lasted 36 months. At that time the warranty was 36 months and ULS sent a new tube at no charge. That one was still going strong when I sold the machine 8 years later. My Trotec lasted 8 years before replacement.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks... (or no thanks, that's not quite what I'd hoped to hear!)
    Today it is struggling after 4 passes at 100% power, 1% speed, to cut through 2mm cast acrylic.
    It makes a dent but that's it...

I hope the Australian fixes are not going to send me broke! A recharge would be more affordable, depending on where to, than a 'new' ULS laser unit.
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 03-05-2017 at 9:09 PM.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

runs okay then loses power--

Another possibility- How's your tube's cooling fan doing; how's the fan's filter(s); the cooling fins on the tube-- if some spider has built a web in the cooling air path somewhere, it's possible it could collect enough lint to slow the air flow...

Just a thought...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Ian, sorry, but it sure sounds exactly like what happened to my laser tube, I would think it's a safe bet that the tube is going out, unfortunately ULS raised their prices last year from the most affordable in the business at $1250 for a replacement tube to $2150, there is a very reasonable alternative called Evergreen lasers, if you have the time to wait for it to be repaired they charge $750 if you tell them you are a Sawmill creek member. Takes about 2-3 weeks. Here's a thread I started about it awhile back.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=evergreen
    Good luck!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    Hi Ian, sorry, but it sure sounds exactly like what happened to my laser tube, I would think it's a safe bet that the tube is going out, unfortunately ULS raised their prices last year from the most affordable in the business at $1250 for a replacement tube to $2150, there is a very reasonable alternative called Evergreen lasers, if you have the time to wait for it to be repaired they charge $750 if you tell them you are a Sawmill creek member. Takes about 2-3 weeks. Here's a thread I started about it awhile back.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=evergreen
    Good luck!
    I wonder the shipping cost to them and back to Australia

Thanks, Kev, and Paul.
    Kev, the airflow isn't blocked at all... but the problem first became noticable a month ago when we had several days of temprtatures in the 40degree celsius bracket, so I wondered if cooling might be a factor. However lasering was worse yesterday than when the dailt temps were much hotter.

Paul, I'm sure postage costs to and from Australia are going to horrify me! It's a heavy unit! Thanks for the advice though.

I'm still awaiting a price from the Aussie agents.
    They said the tubes are made up upon order, because they start to deteriorate from the day they're made, and have about a 5 year lifespan, so they don't have extras in stock, as such...
    Best wishes,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Stewart-Koster View Post
    Thanks, Kev, and Paul.
    Kev, the airflow isn't blocked at all... but the problem first became noticable a month ago when we had several days of temprtatures in the 40degree celsius bracket, so I wondered if cooling might be a factor. However lasering was worse yesterday than when the dailt temps were much hotter.

Paul, I'm sure postage costs to and from Australia are going to horrify me! It's a heavy unit! Thanks for the advice though.

I'm still awaiting a price from the Aussie agents.
    They said the tubes are made up upon order, because they start to deteriorate from the day they're made, and have about a 5 year lifespan, so they don't have extras in stock, as such...
    That's what Epilog told me too, they were amazed that my tube lasted over 9 years. They said 4-5 years whether you suit or not. Mine was $2,300 plus another $175 to buy the mirror alignment tool, which would have been $185 to rent.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just got the price...$3,890 + 10% tax + Delivery in Australia $50, after I send my unit to Sydney, which will be another $50 or so... not much change from $4400.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Stewart-Koster View Post
    Just got the price...$3,890 + 10% tax + Delivery in Australia $50, after I send my unit to Sydney, which will be another $50 or so... not much change from $4400.
    That's not too bad. I wouldn't hesitate at that price. And don't worry about the GST component you'll get that back. You'll be up and running again in no time which outweighs the losses of waiting on a recharge.

yeeeessh.. $4000-ish v $800-ish for a recharge... One more reason why I have multiple machines...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    yeeeessh.. $4000-ish v $800-ish for a recharge... One more reason why I have multiple machines...
    We're talking Australian dollars Kev on the new tube. For you it would be around $2000 vs $800. If Ian sent his over for refurb, the postage would be around $500 alone plus insurance, the month long wait, then he'd probably have to pay import duty (maybe) when it comes back. I reckon he'd be looking at at least $2000 AU plus the long wait.

One more reason I don't live in Australia

(or lots of other places)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    One more reason I don't live in Australia

(or lots of other places)
    Haha yes stuff does get expensive over here