Thread: Saving Z axis position on Universal Laser????

Saving Z axis position on Universal Laser????

Is there a way to save a Z axis position on the ULS??

For example, we cut a lot of vinyl. The thickness will always be the same so instead of focusing the laser is there somewhere I can save or set the Z axis to go there when we cut vinyl?

Also, say I'm engraving a bat. I might need to move the Z three different times for a nice proper engrave. Is there a way to save these Z positions so I will always hit the right points every time when I do this particular bat?

Thanks, TS

Depends on which ULS you have. If it has the programmable Z-Axis, then yes, it's quite easy. Which model do you have?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You're gonna catch a lot of flak because you said "vinyl". -- I have no problem with it, and as long as the smoke & fumes are immediately removed from the laser box and safely exhausted.

And looks like Steve has your answer
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

pencil and paper?
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Sprenkle View Post
    For example, we cut a lot of vinyl.
    Hopefully you have a "replace the laser because I cut vinyl and now it's rusted out completely" fund... Might want to seek out lung donors as well, hydrochloric acid doesn't do them any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Depends on which ULS you have. If it has the programmable Z-Axis, then yes, it's quite easy. Which model do you have?

We run the VLS4.60.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    You're gonna catch a lot of flak because you said "vinyl". -- I have no problem with it, and as long as the smoke & fumes are immediately removed from the laser box and safely exhausted.

And looks like Steve has your answer
    We do mostly screen printing but a lot of heat press. The vinyl is safe to lasercut. Made sure of that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Hopefully you have a "replace the laser because I cut vinyl and now it's rusted out completely" fund... Might want to seek out lung donors as well, hydrochloric acid doesn't do them any favors.

No doubt, gary! The vinyl we cut is laser safe.

We run the VLS4.60.
    I'm pretty sure all the VL-series have the auto-Z function: it's a checkbox on the dialog where you set the power/speed. And you can use different colors (up to 7, I think) to vary power, speed, and Z-axis positions within a single job.

(Your mention of "bat" sounds like maybe you're using a rotary...I've never used one, so I'm not sure if the procedure is different for that.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the VL-series have the auto-Z function: it's a checkbox on the dialog where you set the power/speed. And you can use different colors (up to 7, I think) to vary power, speed, and Z-axis positions within a single job.

(Your mention of "bat" sounds like maybe you're using a rotary...I've never used one, so I'm not sure if the procedure is different for that.)

Ah yea,Lee! I found that and also it has manual control as well. I can save a setting in there. No rotary here, just a few passes and moving the table up and down, hence my initial question.

No doubt, gary! The vinyl we cut is laser safe.
    There is no such thing, it's either vinyl (pvc) or not and vinyl isn't safe to cut with a laser. However, if it's a polyester based film, not "vinyl", then it is safe.

We get our vinyl from Stahl's. The material is polyurethane based. No bad brain melting gases.