Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do I have to learn the hard way??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is actually easier than having to do the math.

Here is my build project on one of these:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Table-Project

The materials were a not expensive.

On my saw benches all the angles are the same. The laps on the legs, the dado in the top and the splay of the legs are all set to 5, 10 or 15º depending on what the particular use.

The angled dado in the top is set by marking the end of the top to the angle and then transferring it along the top.

The tricky part is marking the legs. One has to remember which way each leg splays. Also remember once the laps on the legs are cut to set them on the work to find the distance to set them in from the top's end. The legs should be under the top, not beyond.

jtk
    Thanks Jim , very detailed explanation. Starting on the horses tonight. Gonna use 2x6 for the top and 2x4 for the legs.

To answer your original question, Will Rogers said it just about best: "There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    To answer your original question, Will Rogers said it just about best: "There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
    Never heard that one, great quote!
    Haven't peed on one but have grabbed multiple hot wires at once.

Got only 1 horse done today. Having (4) 5 yr Olds over at once, makes for many distractions.
    Sortve followed Jims build.
    My joinery turned out like poo, but even at that the thing is solid as a rock, no wobble in any direction. Might end up painting them, they're gonna live life outside after my Bench is done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Got only 1 horse done today. Having (4) 5 yr Olds over at once, makes for many distractions.
    Sortve followed Jims build.
    My joinery turned out like poo, but even at that the thing is solid as a rock, no wobble in any direction. Might end up painting them, they're gonna live life outside after my Bench is done.
    Yes, kids can be a big distraction. Look what happened to a friend who was trying to build a section of a tree house frame and got distracted by his grand kids:

Picture 3.jpg

As far as joinery goes, it isn't critical on a saw bench. Saw benches, bench hooks and shooting boards are good projects for one to learn by their mistakes.

You should have seen my first saw horse. It is still around after many years, but is a bit wobbly from all those years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, kids can be a big distraction. Look what happened to a friend who was trying to build a section of a tree house frame and got distracted by his grand kids:

Picture 3.jpg

As far as joinery goes, it isn't critical on a saw bench. Saw benches, bench hooks and shooting boards are good projects for one to learn by their mistakes.

You should have seen my first saw horse. It is still around after many years, but is a bit wobbly from all those years.

jtk
    Did that fall on / around him?

Learned another valuable lesson building these saw horses. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR BEVEL GAUGE INTERMITTENLY! !
    Don't know how it happened but on the second horse the last two legs I made were at a different angle than the first two. Didn't notice till I had it assembled, said screw it and cut the legs down to be level.

Blog Entries
    I find the most painful lessons stick the best.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Did that fall on / around him?

No, sadly, he stepped in it.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron