Thread: Traditional White Kitchens - Hand Made Details

Traditional White Kitchens - Hand Made Details

Kitchens can be made in just as many styles as furniture and interior designs come in. Our shop has made kitchens using thick, 'Old World' details as well as designing them with clean, minimal 'Modern' lines. We’ve also finished their surfaces in every look ...from natural blonde maple to painting them a dark blood red, …. but the ones we are asked to make the most are traditional white kitchens.
    The following pictures show the installation of a richly appointed, white kitchen, in the ‘Traditional’ style.

Our client was a commercial builder and would handle all other construction except create and install the custom made cabinets. This was for his own home and he liked the gallery on our website so I took him to see some of our work & he awarded us the job.

newly renovated room ready for unfinished cabs

I often do a number of sketches for the shop when building … and I also put them up on a wall in the room when we are installing.

very accurate alignment of cabinets (for appliance and counter top placement) makes the finished kitchen fit together cleanly and become a single unit.

I went back to take photographs but they hadn’t gotten the dishwasher in nor tiled the backsplash yet.

paneled side walls, stepped out vertical corners and well proportioned trim make for a rich Traditional style kitchen. The shape of these details are noticed best when all the woodwork is done in one paint color.

here’s the kitchen’s other wall looking left…. with 16” deep pantry shelves, ovens & the fridge / they were considering placement of a TV above the wall ovens when I was last there.

This kitchen will be serving food for a few decades to come.

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

Beautiful work, Russell!

It's interesting to me from a workflow perspective how the ovens got so far separated from the rest of the workspace, but it's also understandable given the available area and adjacencies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's beautiful work!!!

Wow that turned out well!! Nice work!

Very attractive. If it weren't for the dark floor it would look like the clouds of Heaven. I'd love to see behind the doors next to the ovens.

i need to build shaker panels for a subzero 48 in. how do you do yours? i was thinking lay the style and rail on a sheet of 1/4 ply, but am worried about how flexible the ply is. Great kitchen.

I agree, beautiful work.Very professional high end work from a very experienced pro. Not to hijack but as for the placement of the ovens, my wife and I are facing the same situation as we're planning a new kitchen with not as much wall space as we would like. For work triangle purposes, I wanted to place our new wall oven in the same location as the existing one, but her viewpoint and I'm seeing the logic in it is to place the ovens around the corner in the pantry area to give us some more potential counter space. Her rationale is that the ovens are not constantly being accessed like a refrigerator or sink or stove top. Once a dish is placed in the oven it usually stays there for a while, so the oven doesn't require the prime real estate that the sink, cooktop, and refrig deserve. In the end, she usually prevails when it comes to things pertaining to her "nest".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Beautiful work, Russell!

It's interesting to me from a workflow perspective how the ovens got so far separated from the rest of the workspace, but it's also understandable given the available area and adjacencies.

Jon, and continuing the aside not related to the outstanding quality of the OP's project, your spouse's thoughts are reasonable relative to the ovens if they are primarily used for baking and not regularly for food preparation. I do a lot of cooking (it's become another "serious avocation" for me) and I actually use the oven a lot as many proteins and other dishes get started on the range top, but move down to the oven for finishing. So for "me" having at least one oven "right there" is important as I want things "in view" while working other meal components so as not to overcook them. My "dream kitchen" would add an additional wall oven somewhere for utility, however, especially since the second oven on our range is somewhat smaller and limited in what I can use it for. Kitchen layouts and equipment can be pretty personal!!!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled "oh wow" on the OP's outstanding craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jon, and continuing the aside not related to the outstanding quality of the OP's project, your spouse's thoughts are reasonable relative to the ovens if they are primarily used for baking and not regularly for food preparation. I do a lot of cooking (it's become another "serious avocation" for me) and I actually use the oven a lot as many proteins and other dishes get started on the range top, but move down to the oven for finishing. So for "me" having at least one oven "right there" is important as I want things "in view" while working other meal components so as not to overcook them. My "dream kitchen" would add an additional wall oven somewhere for utility, however, especially since the second oven on our range is somewhat smaller and limited in what I can use it for. Kitchen layouts and equipment can be pretty personal!!!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled "oh wow" on the OP's outstanding craftsmanship!
    Makes sense,Jim.Far from a gourmet cook here.Our oven is used for my wife's baking primarily.She bakes,I get fat.I do see your work flow on the cooking shows now that I think about it.

Now Let's give Russell the attention.