Thread: 1988 Delta DJ 20 8" Jointer

1988 Delta DJ 20 8" Jointer

First let me say hello as I am new on this forum.

I recently purchased a 1988 DJ 20 8" Delta jointer which hadn't been cleaned since the day it was made. I decided to take it apart and clean off the grime and rust. Like many, I wish I had taken before and after pictures. I may have to blog about this particular clean and rebuild because I have found so little information about these machines. That said, I have one final challenge before I button this monster up.

The challenge is the fence, no matter what I try I cannot get the fence to square on the vertical axis. In essence, the out-feed side is higher than the in-feed side. It's almost as if I need to shim the base by a 1/4".

I will add pics later tonight but this is just frustrating. If you have any suggestions please pass along. If you live in or around Largo FL send me an IM.

Many Thanks,

Rick

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on an awesome Jointer.

I have one of these and quite sure I understand what you are saying. Can you post a picture?

I have one too. If I understand you correctly, one end of the fence is higher off the bed than the other? really doesn't matter as long as it is perpendicular to the bed at 90 degrees. Mine fence has a slight twist, from the cast iron warping as it cured, I am told. that's kinda annoying, but I deal with it cause I love the jointer overall....

The fence will not be the same height from infeed to outfeed. Nature of the beast.
    Set your vertical in relation to the outfeed table.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Pics of the Fence

Thank you for all the input. Here is what I am talking about. I want the fence, on the out-feed table to be level. I think you can see that this is not the case. When I push the fence down the carriage assembly rises by about a 1/4". Now I did take the Carriage assembly apart to clean it but I don't see any lateral adjustments that would allow me to level out the fence.

Any suggestions?

If any of you could take a picture of your carriage assembly, then that may give me some additional ideas.

Many thanks

Rick

j03.jpg

The whole fence adjustment mechanism slides on a large cast iron bracket that bolts on the back of the jointer. I this bracket bolted on crooked? It should be level and parallel with the outfeed table. Take the fence off and take a look.

I have a very similar year DJ-20 I picked up used. I have no idea if my fence is level in the way you describe... never checked for that.

I'll look tonight. But it can't possibly affect use right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The whole fence adjustment mechanism slides on a large cast iron bracket that bolts on the back of the jointer. I this bracket bolted on crooked? It should be level and parallel with the outfeed table. Take the fence off and take a look.
    Cary, that was just the ticket. When I attached the bracket I assumed that since there were only two screws it would go on level. Nope, not the case. There is a lot of slop on that piece of iron. So, with the bracket leveled, all is now right with the world and the fence is level and 90 degrees to the out-feed table.

Many thanks.

Rick