Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna 18/36 or PM 3520B

is it any longer though? To me the length looks about the same with just the housing being differently shaped. I see the shape of the laguna helping have more access but I guess I also can see the boxier shape of the PM having more mass or something. Does the PM have the same sized and number of bearings?

Also, how do the older PM 3520A and 3520B compare? Was there an older 3520 before the A? Was it ever made in the US?

Thanks for the continued info.

Not sure about the size of the bearings, but it is my understanding the PM may have three spindle bearings. The Laguna has two according to my recollection.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    You could look at it as 2 levers. One is from the bed up to the headstock spindle for height, and the other is how far off the headstock mount/base of the head stock the chuck mounts. In the PM, my chuck was about 4 inches off the headstock. With the Robust, it is about 6 inches. Looks like the Revo is more than that, but haven't measured that one. So, the more it sticks out from the bottom of the headstock mount/footprint on the bed, the more difficult it is to hold steady. Using the tailstock helps to steady it, but once the tailstock is removed, then you get some vibration. Hope that makes some sense.

robo hippy
    Reed, it is 1" from the face of the headstock to the back face of my chuck. I use SN2 chucks, which are 2.75" deep, so the work is 3.75" from the face of the headstock, which appears to be the location of the foremost bearing.

It would seem the first lever you mention is simply the swing of the lathe and isn't relevant to design features - only to the extent the swing is different. In this case, that force would be greater for the PM as it is a 20" swing vs. 18" for the Laguna. However, if turning off the end, all of that changes.

On another thing you mentioned, I turn off the end quite often and I am not sure what your are referring to with "the mounting brackets." But, I am using the bed extension and toolrest, so that may make a difference. I have found it very comfortable to use in that fashion.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-01-2017 at 2:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I have used and demoed many time on the 3520. I have always found the 3520 to be a bit cumbersome with working on the headstock side of the lathe which I actually do quite often. That is one of the reason I have an American Beauty as my big lathe in my shop. I like the tapered nose on the Laguna for that reason. Everyone that I have talked with that has the Laguna really seems to like them. I also like having a fairly long bed as well which is another plus on the Laguna. Either are good machines.

Exactly one of the reasons I am replacing my PM -- access around the headstock.

John what Reed is saying is not how far from the headstock but how far from the base of the headstock or where the headstock meets the lathe bed. I believe that is the lever he is talking about. I really don't think that would have much of an effect but in all truth a sliding headstock in general is an easy way to introduce vibration. Personally I feel the convenience of a slider out ways the possibility of adding vibration. The Revo does lock in place with authority and I haven't noticed any unusual vibration.

As far as distance between bearings it is hard to tell if there is much of a difference.

Laguna.PNG Powermatic.PNG
    Last edited by Neal DaMommio; 03-01-2017 at 3:59 PM.

I looked at the Laguna and at 6'2" I needed the riser blocks to have the height so it was comfortable. The height of the PM was better for me. I wanted the heavier lathe so I bought the PM.
    Both are quality machines so it comes to personal preference.
    Don

What is the spindle and bed height of each? I can't find that spec. Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-01-2017 at 7:47 PM.

Greg it is 44" to center of spindle on the PM and 41.5'" on the Laguna. I have the pdf manual of both would you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal DaMommio View Post
    Greg it is 44" to center of spindle on the PM and 41.5'" on the Laguna. I have the pdf manual of both would you like them?
    That would be awesome. My email is txbonds at yahoo dot com. Thank you so much.

Think I've decided on the 220v version of the Laguna 18/36. Just have to reach out to woodcraft. Thanks again for the feedback.

John, I was measuring to the face of my chuck jaws where the bowl base or top would sit when turning.

The swing adds to the length of the vertical lever, so more force generated at the headstock/ways joint. I guess the main thing this means is that with a sliding headstock, the more swing there is, the bigger footprint I would want on that joint. The diameter of the piece you are turning also is a consideration, so less stress on a 6 inch bowl, and a lot more on an 18 inch bowl, and if you are turning a table top, then still more, and you have to figure in rpm as well.

The mounting brackets are the feet that the portability wheels mount on which stick out to the side and are bolted on. I am used to legs on the ground and nothing protruding out beyond them. The portability for my Robust is jack it up, and clip in wheels, lower the jack, then do the other end. So, for one that sits in place and is moved very seldom. At our local Woodcraft store, we use a Laguna for our demo lathe. It has the wheels on full time. For me, they are in the way...

The 3520 was at first called the Olsolnick, lathe after Rudy Olsolnick who was instrumental in the design of it. As near as I can tell, it was the first sliding headstock lathe made. The first A models may have been made in the US, but that was about the time production went over seas and Jet and PM merged. My A was one of the first models and had a small electric fan under the heat baffles on the underside of the phase converter. The pressure plate under the headstock was cast iron and it snapped while coring some black locust, and it is all metal now. Think I paid $2750 for mine. For a year or so, technical questions were forwarded to Tennessee to the original PM factory, which soon shut down. Speeds on the A were 0 to 1500 on low speed range, and 1 to 3000 in the high range, and it would go down to almost 0 before it shut off. The B model speed ranges were 50 to 1200 on the slow range, and 50 to 3200 on the high range, note here: not positive, but pretty sure as I demoed on one and found the low speed range too slow for my taste. I think they added a notch in the headstock by the spindle for access to the bottom of a reversed bowl. They enclosed the tailstock side, and added an electronic read out for rpm. I think they flattened out the top of the headstock so you could put stuff on it. Probably a few other things... Can't remember. I have had my Robust for almost 10 years, but again, can't really remember... CRS!!!

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Think I've decided on the 220v version of the Laguna 18/36. Just have to reach out to woodcraft. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Good decision! I am sure you are going to love it.

Laguna 18/36 ordered this morning thanks to the 10% off sale. Had to use Wood werks out of Ohio as woodcraft isn't showing the sale online. Saved me sales tax though. Didn't order any other items or accessories yet as I will need to go one item at a time. Will need a larger chuck and will eventually want the extension, one or two of the spot lights, and maybe the wheels. Plan to keep this one a while so any upgrade would not happen for years and years. Talking like when I'm ready to buy the Robust AB or something.

any tips on which chuck size and model works best on the laguna? Thanks.

Greg, you may want to start another thread regarding the chuck question. Folks tend not to return to a thread for anything other than interest in the original topic, i.e., the comparison of the Laguna vs. PM. I think you would get more responses and some better info.

I'm a happy owner of a 3520B and have been for a few years now. However, if the 18/36 had been on the market when I bought my PM, I would probably have bought the 18/36.
    A link to my homepage is in my profile.