Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show me your sharp

The auricle says, a lot of shavings are going to get squashed real tight in micrometer jaws this month

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    Although I like the idea of such an exercise, I can't see how one could set it up so it's an "apples to apples" comparison. There are far too many variables, which can't be easily validated.

I was almost jokingly thinking of submitting a photo of me mic'ing a handplaned shaving, but one where I'd cut a hole where the micrometer pins go! Why, I'll just bet I could beat everyone... thereby proving I'm the sneakiest submitter!
    I will never again trust you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I can set zero wherever I want with my digital caliper.
    ...or you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Marty - Malcolm is the only variable to consider here. He has already stated "his ball, his rules". I would send him some Jamiaca Blue Mountain or whatever is considered good-gooder-best right now to start softening up the only true variable.
    I prefer Costa Rican, but I like the way you think. Do you need my PayPal address? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    ...Obviously I need more sharpening threads.
    2,513,732 sharpening threads and you need more?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Not so fast! My entry:
    Attachment 355109
    12-1/4" long piece of scrap beech: 0.0005" thick x 12+"L. x 2"W. w/ L-N #4-1/2 fresh off a dose of sharp. Notice the near perfect transparency of the shaving. It positively glints in the light with the polished surface.

Sharpened on the shop floor (mason really worked hard to pull the portland 'cream' to the top). I flatten it periodically with a P265/30-R20. Free-hand, blindfolded - - sort of by sense of smell, as much as feel. No ruler trick. ... But I did use a Veritas mk.II jig. Once.
    I laughed at this one, and then I cried because all faith in humanity is now lost. Please report to the drug testing lab immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey Petrov View Post
    The auricle says, a lot of shavings are going to get squashed real tight in micrometer jaws this month
    I will never buy a used car from anyone on this forum- just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Wow that jumped you way up to the top of the heap Malcom. Was the shop floor swept prior to the sharpening? If so, was it a hog bristle or nylon bristle broom? What size are the granules of the Portland cream?
    I always sweep before sharpening, and only with a small sable makeup brush (it does take a day or so). I sent a sample in for SEM analysis, but apparently my floor is too fine to quantify.

Also, forgot to add that I did let my pet coyote lick the blade a couple of times; seems to be adequate stropping. (Please don't call the ASPCA or the USVISPCA. He's a native Texas coyote and is used to all things sharp and poisonous.)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I laughed at this one, and then I cried because all faith in humanity is now lost. Please report to the drug testing lab immediately.
    There is no certified lab nearby, so in the spirit of fair play I've directly submitted a sample for testing. Watch for a bottle marked "Lagavulin 25-yr".
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-01-2017 at 9:22 AM. Reason: I just felt that 'spirit of fair play' needed more emphasis

Blog Entries

To everyone;

....Best of luck next year!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

To everyone;

So where is the image of the shaving in the micrometer?

BTW, some might say the wrinkly look to the shaving means your chip breaker is a tad too close to the edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

OK, so they're not quite as long as specified. I would have needed 12,000 of them to reach the 12" mark and my arm was getting tired.

Veritas Shooting Plane 01 Small.jpg Veritas Shooting Plane 03 Small.jpg

Sharpened with a Golden Eye Laser, Part Number 1995.007
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 03-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Malcolm McLeod;2664767]

There is no certified lab nearby, so in the spirit of fair play I've directly submitted a sample for testing. Watch for a bottle marked "Lagavulin 25-yr".[/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Malcolm M., I cry foul fine sir! Your so called "drug testing sample" is a clear violation of the emoluments clause in the SMC Constitution. Err – OK… more like a "smoky brown", delicious violation.

Knowing the OP Malcolm S., to be a widely respected Neander of the highest character and ethical standards, I fully expect him to disqualify your sample and immediately send it to me for proper evaluation.

Cheers, Mike

Emolument:
    nounformal,
    plural noun: emoluments. A salary, fee, or profit from employment or office. "The directors' emoluments".

Blog Entries
    Nice work, Brian. Mic that and you may be in the lead, pending the outcome of Malcolm's drug test and highly suspicious Saran Wrap shaving.

Malcolm, are you saying you pee 25 yo scotch? That's either impressive or disgusting- I have not decided yet which, but I do have a few friends here who probably pee at least 80 proof rum.

Stew, you get points for end grain cuts. That's bold and thinking outside the box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    [QUOTE=Malcolm McLeod;2664767]

There is no certified lab nearby, so in the spirit of fair play I've directly submitted a sample for testing. Watch for a bottle marked "Lagavulin 25-yr".
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Malcolm M., I cry foul fine sir! Your so called "drug testing sample" is a clear violation of the emoluments clause in the SMC Constitution. Err – OK… more like a "smoky brown", delicious violation.

Knowing the OP Malcolm S., to be a widely respected Neander of the highest character and ethical standards, I fully expect him to disqualify your sample and immediately send it to me for proper evaluation.

Cheers, Mike

Emolument:
    nounformal,
    plural noun: emoluments. A salary, fee, or profit from employment or office. "The directors' emoluments".

[/QUOTE]

I will certainly dispose of it properly. Nothing to see here, folks...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

To everyone;

Brian, I say your submission is a little too impressive!

In the spirit of incorporating a "level playing field" (similar to the local golf club championship), card-carrying experts like Brian and Derek should be required to incorporate some kind of "handicap" into their score to give hacks like me a chance. Accordingly, I suggest experts must take their shavings against the grain !

Then again, probably wouldn't be much of a handicap for those guys.

Cheers, Mike

This has been posted on SMC before, but it's worthy of inclusion here. I don't think a measurement was taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0d2ASiycg

Before this derails completely, 2 things:

1. Mr. Schweizer offered a unique and humorous opportunity to showcase our results, rather than argue about how we got there. I hope everyone was induced to smile by my attempt at 'sharp' humor. FWIW, I was in the room with a sharp tool once, and someday hope to do so again, and maybe even become proficient. Time will tell.

2. Please don't let me divert others from contributing. I am out of one-liners, FEDEX has informed me the scotch evaporated in transit, and so, I will shut-up and be humbled by the keenness of your edges.

----
    Tho' I do have a back-up bottle - - so drop by, have a wee dram, and we'll tell more lies!!

Blog Entries
    so drop by, have a wee dram, and we'll tell more lies!!
    Maybe the next time I am in Texas.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Since we're posting neat pictures of shavings:

This is from walnut. I didn't measure the thickness at the time, sadly. Shapton pro 15k stone for the honing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    [/I]

Brian, I say your submission is a little too impressive!

In the spirit of incorporating a "level playing field" (similar to the local golf club championship), card-carrying experts like Brian and Derek should be required to incorporate some kind of "handicap" into their score to give hacks like me a chance. Accordingly, I suggest experts must take their shavings against the grain !

Then again, probably wouldn't be much of a handicap for those guys.

Cheers, Mike
    Well, it's vertical grain lumber so...,sure I'll take a shaving against the grain,

Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Nice work, Brian. Mic that and you may be in the lead, pending the outcome of Malcolm's drug test and highly suspicious Saran Wrap shaving.

Malcolm, are you saying you pee 25 yo scotch? That's either impressive or disgusting- I have not decided yet which, but I do have a few friends here who probably pee at least 80 proof rum.

Stew, you get points for end grain cuts. That's bold and thinking outside the box.
    I have a tough time getting the mic to measure a shaving under 20 micron with any success. Mine rotates as it clamps. Best reading I could get was 18 micron but my guess is that it's more like 10~ micron being that it's turning into a spider web in many areas.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.