Thread: Steamer Trunk Restoration Question

Steamer Trunk Restoration Question

Good Morning everyone,

I have a steamer trunk that was my great-great grandfather's when he came over to the U.S. from Sweden. So far it's been a dusty museum piece up in the attic. I'd like to refurbish it and put it back to use. As the pictures show it has a large bottom compartment and a smaller upper compartment. The lid has a double hinge that determines whether the upper is opened or the lower. Does anyone have a good source for a replacement hinge like this or would it most likely need to be a one off hand made recreation? Also, I'm deciding on whether to repaint with milk paint or to clean it up and try to preserve the current look. If I keep the current worn look, what would be a good way to put on a protective seal coat?

I'm not sure this is the most appropriate sub forum for this but thought I would start here. I apologize for the wonky picture orientation but that's a problem for another day..

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread!
    Jeff

IMG_2264.jpgIMG_2263.jpgIMG_2262.jpgAttachment 355055
    Attached Images Attached Images

As a first effort, I think I would try to refurbish and re-use the hinges that are on it now unless they are mechanically compromised. I have seen some amazing things done with restorers of extremely rusty old stationary woodworking tools.

Jeff, there are lots of websites devoted to trunk restoration. My wife and I used to be into it. We collected a few, and restored a couple of dome tops. We had friends that were into it and got us started. Here is a link to get you started.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/links.html

The general rule that I was taught was to keep the trunk as original as possible, but replacing hardware that is beyond repair is permissible.

Here is a hardware vendor that offers a free catalog.

http://www.vandykes.com/vintage-trun...-parts/c/1650/

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! This is great information. I had no idea so much was available regarding this topic.

Art, I think I agree with your suggestion. Sounds like the way to go if at all possible.

Thanks guys.
    Jeff