Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

27 Feb 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    Spent a little bit of time in the shop this weekend helping a friend remake a top for his wife's computer desk. That project should be finished later this week.
    My new once a week cooking for the LOML routine has been interesting at best. This week, I cooked Chicken Milano with hand tossed Cesar salad. It was a hit and a keeper to do again sometime. I was out of commission earlier in the week with 2 days in the bed and on the couch due to sinus pressure and congestion. I was getting much better on Thursday and the LOML started coming down with the same thing on Friday. I spent most of the weekend taking care of her, cleaning house, doing laundry, and fixing "get well soon" food and drinks for the LOML.

All in all, it was a good weekend and I'm really glad to be on the well side of being sick.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I got out in the driveway and started a shop cart build, for holding up my sanding center, as well as a bench grinder and my Work Sharp. The carcass is built, but no drawers yet, but they are coming. But the wooden drawer slides are done, and its on wheels. See photos.
    IMG_3296 (600x450).jpg
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Small steps...before getting back to the cherry and Doug fir bookcase I started a little over a year ago (one bunk bed, planter box, and cat tree later), I decided to add a lumber rack along one of my walls to clear up some much needed floor space. Most of that work was done last week. Then, with all of the new floor space available it was clear I needed to sweep and vacuum before I could reorganize. But the DC was clogged, so before I could finish cleaning up I had to take the filter canister outside and blow it clean with a leaf blower. I was amazed at how much fine dust had gotten packed into the filter pleats (Wynn Environmental 0.5 micron). Lucky for my neighbors (or me, depending), the winds were relatively calm during the process. And now my blueberry bushes have a fresh layer of cover mixed into the existing bark mulch. The bookcase pieces are back on my bench. Now I only hope I can finish it before the next project comes up.

ShipShapeShop.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Small steps...before getting back to the cherry and Doug fir bookcase I started a little over a year ago (one bunk bed, planter box, and cat tree later), I decided to add a lumber rack along one of my walls to clear up some much needed floor space. Most of that work was done last week. Then, with all of the new floor space available it was clear I needed to sweep and vacuum before I could reorganize. But the DC was clogged, so before I could finish cleaning up I had to take the filter canister outside and blow it clean with a leaf blower. I was amazed at how much fine dust had gotten packed into the filter pleats (Wynn Environmental 0.5 micron). Lucky for my neighbors (or me, depending), the winds were relatively calm during the process. And now my blueberry bushes have a fresh layer of cover mixed into the existing bark mulch. The bookcase pieces are back on my bench. Now I only hope I can finish it before the next project comes up.

ShipShapeShop.jpg

I can relate to the delays, trying to focus on a few projects myself. Getting back on a Stickly glass front book case i wanted to build a year ago before a kitchen remodel and a bunch of other projects.

I got a long awaited side job finished-good friend of mine bought a very nice house several years ago where several of the door frames were not quite square and plumb, and several doors were shutting poorly. Also, his kitchen cabinets needed some repair work.

That is done, getting ready to start on some furniture repair and rebuilding and rebuilding his deck next. Neighbor wants some kitchen cabinet door fronts done, and I am going to be putting oak flooring on some stair cases.

Acquired a new nail gun for the stair projects (16 gauge) and got ready to order some materials.

May have located a jointer from an out of town woodworker, need to go look at it...

No woodworking this weekend. We had family with adult kids, adult grandkids and great-grandkids here to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday.It was a fun weekend!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I went to the wood show in Hamilton Ontario, met some friends there, had a good time.

I purchased a 23 gauge Grex headless pinner............Rod.

Rob,
    You're gonna love that Grex! I find all kinds of uses for mine.
    Regards,
    Tom

I was away from the previous Saturday through this Saturday dealing with things in Florida related to my father's health issues, but I did get into the shop on Sunday for awhile to do two tasks...final re-framing of a beautiful print by a family friend (the woman/artist who bought my childhood home when the 'rents became Floridians) and completing work and painting of some beekeeping woodenware that Professor Dr. SWMBO will need later in the spring. I also cooked the Sunday night meal since I didn't get to enjoy our kitchen for over a week...and the nod went to bone-in chicken thighs, pan gravy over jasmine rice with yellow lentils and quinoa, kale salad with fresh vinaigrette and fresh fruit.

The frame with re-homed print that was originally in a gold, metal frame that just didn't go with our decor

I had to mill a few small pieces of wood to complete the beekeeping woodenware and of course that meant this became necessary...

Everything painted...I can move on to whatever project comes next.

Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-27-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I
    I purchased a 23 gauge Grex headless pinner............Rod.
    Absolutely my favorite pneumatic gun to-date. It feels great in the hand and works smoothly. Short learning curve to get used to the trigger safety, but now it's automagical. I'd buy other Grex guns in the future for sure.
    --

Well, in addition, to my new jointer which I already posted about - 1940 Delta 6" jointer. I happened across a bunch of tools when I went to buy a practically new Makita grinder. They wanted $20 for the grinder. They were preparing to have a garage sale on Sat. I asked if I stop by early to get the grinder which they agreed to. They also had no pics of the hand tools in the CL ad. They being two older women, one of whom had lost her husband and it was his tools they were selling. I arrived and there were some old mostly Craftsman sockets & wrenches but there were also some Klein, S-K, Giller, Proto and Plomb tools. All made in the USA. I bought just about all of it. I didn't get it for a song but I got a fair deal and so did they. By the way, I'm into OWWM and had just started a thread there recently requesting info on "Tools and processes for OWWM restorations". Used the replies and links to build a good list of tools I'll need to restore my old machines. After I got home and went thru it all there were 3 small sockets and a extension bar and of course the Makita grinder which were not made in the USA. Great weekend. I'm gonna count tonight as well because I just picked up this Craftsman toolbox off CL ($10) to put these tools in, except the largest box wrenches. That 3/8" Stanley rachet front left might be Asian. Putting a nice dent in both my tool and machine lists was a nice accomplishment this weekend!

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg

Tools also came with two old really nice double size milk cartons. :-)
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 02-27-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Jim,
    Is that picture frame painted or stained I can't tell for sure. Looks painted. If so what wood do you like to use for painted frames? Got a few I need to do.

PS Nice job with Sunday dinner.

Thanks, Mike

Got the first coat of BLO / Mineral Spirits / Spar Varnish mix on the workbench base... Hopefully, will have it finished by the end of the week... That way I can move on to the top.

Jim, dinner looks fantastic, however I think you're just showing off for us urban dwellers.

When I move the Oneida dust barrel, I have to carry it by hand

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    When I move the Oneida dust barrel, I have to carry it by hand
    It would be a long carry over to that sawdust pile in the distance, so I'm very thankful for the Big Orange Power Tool (BOPT)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Jim,
    Is that picture frame painted or stained I can't tell for sure. Looks painted. If so what wood do you like to use for painted frames? Got a few I need to do.
    Painted, Mike. I use spray bomb flat black after sanding and filling and then coat with water borne satin, either EM6000 or...gasp...Minwax Polycrylic.

I use whatever wood I have available which in my case is often poplar. If you want smooth, you want a close-grained hardwood. Maple would be better, but I don't have any of that lying about that I would want to paint.
    --