Thread: Cheap 40w Chinese laser from eBay

Cheap 40w Chinese laser from eBay

I do not own a business that relies on a laser. I just do a couple jobs a year where i need to make little name tags and plates out of plastic. I have some experience with a few different laser engravers and Corel over the years but didnt want to invest in purchasing an expensive laser for such little work. So I purchased one of these $400 ebay lasers from china just to see if it would work for what I am looking for.

I am wondering if anyone has one of these, or knows someone who has one? I have mine and set it up and seems to be working. but there are a few questions i have and I am unable to find the answers.

For one, i set my corel page to 300mmx200mm, yet when I print to the engraver it doesnt seem to always start in the top left corner. How do I utilize the entire engraving area? Also, is there a way to setup and save settings for my material? my machine has a turn knob for the power, but im assuming the power will change depending on if i am engraving or cutting and wondering if there is a way to set that in the software rather than the knob which would be difficult to always get back to the same power.

You have to run 2 jobs if you have two different power settings. The knob controls the power on this machine not th e software. So if i had to engrave and a cut i would engrave then run the vector cutting and turn up the knob

Based on previous posts, be careful about how much power you set as it is common for those machines to over-power the tube and ruin it. In my experience, if you do not keep the power to a maximum of 85% of what the tube is rated for (not what the power supply can put out) you wil greatly shorten the tube's life.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Welcome to the world of a Cheap laser, that on a good day May output 30 watts..... at least for a while. Software sucks, controller is junk, mirrors and optics as cheap as they can make them. Not even a good frame work for upgrading. You will want to upgrade, replace this and that and soon you will have a couple thousand invested in something that is too small to really use. There are users on here who have done just that and I hope they step up to help you out. LightObject and a few a eBay vendors sell the upgrades.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So the ebay laser was the first chinese laser i owned. While it was not perfect iwas able to make many fun things with it. I had it for 2 years. Learned much about chinese lasers. It at least sounds like you got a working unit and that is a good start. I upgraded to new machine since

Thanks guys. I realize (now and before i purchased it) that it is what it is. Again, i am not running a business off this thing, but really only a couple simple small jobs a year. Nothing major and mostly just name tags that will be engraved, then cut out of thin plastic. That's really it.

So if i ever do an upgrade, i think i may want to upgrade the control board on the front. I wish it had an LED power setting rather than the knob. Other than that, it seems to work pretty well (at the moment at least) for what I am needing it to do. I would just prefer to manually put the power setting to a specific number rather than guessing and turning a knob.

but right now, my main questions are this.... and would greatly appreciate anyone who could help!!

1. in corel, do i set my page up to 300mm x 200mm? or do i set it up as the size of my material? Right now I am getting material pretty much the size of the entire table, so i am setting up my corel layout to 300mm x 200mm and then positioning my name tag in the top corner, engraving then cutting it out. However, it seems like when i send the job to the laser, it doesnt always engrave where i want it to.

2. i am used to creating a thin "box" in corel with a red outline (clear inside) and that would vector cut. then anything black would raster engrave. does this machine work the same way? it seems like the 2-3 jobs I have tried so far, the only way i could get it to engrave was to make a black box and use white text? basically backwards of what i am used to. and i havent tried vector cutting yet.

3. last question... kinda piggy backs on #1.... how do you get the XY arm to home in the top left corner? seems like when i turn on the machine, sometimes i homes up there, but sometimes it tries to keep going down until it goes too far and knocks.

thanks again guys. I know its not ideal machine, but i think i can get it to work for my needs with a little help.

What software is the machine using? No one can help without knowing that.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

So i made a circle with a hole with numbers in clockwise and placed it over the knob. That way could kinda of know what power i was at. I made the circle with the laser it self. I also made a simple air assist. I have some videos i made on you tube if inyerested.

here are a couple screen shots. However, where it says MAINBOARD, i have changed that to M2 as directed from the supplier i bought it from. I do not recall exactly the full description, but it ended in M2
    Attached Images Attached Images

bump. anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Scott View Post
    bump. anyone?
    Allen your not being ignored, but I think Clark is the only one on here that owned a machine as yours. If you want to head over to Lightobject dot com Marco has a Forum where some of your questions might be addressed.
    PS Its also known as a K40 laser.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Laser-Cutter/
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-02-2017 at 7:50 PM.

If you have any questions

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Scott View Post
    bump. anyone?
    If-you-have-any-questions.Please-ask.Although-my-machine-is-older-and-I-think-they-have-changed-a-bit.My-keyboard-space-is-not-working-sorry-for-the-dashes.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    If-you-have-any-questions.Please-ask.Although-my-machine-is-older-and-I-think-they-have-changed-a-bit.My-keyboard-space-is-not-working-sorry-for-the-dashes.
    I have the same issues sometimes, only on this Forum with Space bar not working. If I go to Advanced to reply its back to normal?????