Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many are old rec.woodworking wood workers?

Blog Entries
    I have three Steve Knight planes, two smoothers and a 24" long jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I met Patrick Leach on Rec.WW and was part of the crew that moved to the oldtools list. I once even met Patrick Olguin when he stopped by the Independence ToolWorks in upstate New York with TRB in tow. I miss those guys, I keep in touch with Patrick Leach and a few others, but wonder what happened to many of the others like Guntherman, etc. I do miss the old days.
    Pete, did you meet Paddy in '02? I know he was on a cross country jaunt then. I don't know where else he went, but on the return trip he stayed with Keith Bohn in Milwaukee one night and with us in MN the next. We went to Minneapolis and hooked up with a couple Oldtools guys one night.

Bruce, way before that, probably fall of 1996!

Pete,

How about a bit if history of Independence Toolworks? How did you and Patrick get hooked up?

TIA
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Is it wrong to say that I miss usenet? The old / original usenet before the "Eternal September"?
    The whole Internet before the modem kiddies were a constant problem, yes.

rec.ww is where I first caught the handtool bug.

It's still somewhat alive and kicking. You can access it via google groups web interface.

I was there and got my Joiner from Steve Knight back then. Still have that thing .... Last I heard on Steve was he was into CNC now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Thanks for raising the question, this really brought back some memories.

Turning it back to the Neander world, there was a guy named Steve Knight who was active on rec.woodworking in those days and sold wood hand planes that he made out of various exotics. One of the features was the massive plane irons he used, quite a bit thicker than Hock irons. I've wondered what ever happened to him, and whether he still makes hand planes. His knight-toolworks domain is inactive. Anyone know what's become of him?

I was around on rec the wood in the old days. I stumbled across my Gunterman spoke shave the other day, does anyone else remember those?
    I got to go tool hunting with Pete Taran once, and met Patrick Leach at an MWTCA meet. Those were the good old days!

Bruce Willman

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    It's still somewhat alive and kicking. You can access it via google groups web interface.
    thanks for that. I just went back and searched some of my old posts. Talk about a flashback ...

FYI folks

Steve Knight gave up making planes because the time involved vs the selling prices wasn't paying his bills. He bought a CNC router and it kept him quite busy allowing him to discontinue making planes.

John Gunterman divorced, moved from NH to TN, left the IT world, and finally followed his dream of becoming a Memphis cop. He also joined the Navy reserve which took him in spite of his age because of his computer skills. About 5 years ago he emailed me from a deployment in Kuwait. John has pretty much given up woodworking as far as I know.

And yes, I was on both the Rec and Badger Pond going way back. I still peruse the Old Tools list summaries but haven't posted in years.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    FYI folks

Steve Knight gave up making planes because the time involved vs the selling prices wasn't paying his bills. He bought a CNC router and it kept him quite busy allowing him to discontinue making planes.

John Gunterman divorced, moved from NH to TN, left the IT world, and finally followed his dream of becoming a Memphis cop. He also joined the Navy reserve which took him in spite of his age because of his computer skills. About 5 years ago he emailed me from a deployment in Kuwait. John has pretty much given up woodworking as far as I know.

And yes, I was on both the Rec and Badger Pond going way back. I still peruse the Old Tools list summaries but haven't posted in years.

I knew Steve had quit making planes for sale. I always was taken with the fact that when you opened the box a new plane was shipped in, he had enclosed shavings he made with the plane before he shipped it to you.

I recall one of those fantasy discussions that sometimes happened on the Wreck, involving Gunterman. Someone asked the question what was the most dangerous weapon they had in their shop. Of course, people replied hammers, chisels, crowbars, etc. John's response was a broomstick. Someone scoffed at that idea, and his response was that he was a black belt in tae kwon do and "you wouldn't believe what I can do with a broomstick." I always liked that one.