Thread: Grizzly bandsaw motor shaft size?

Grizzly bandsaw motor shaft size?

Hi everyone,
    If someone could provide some of their knowledge then I would be very grateful. Grizzly wasn’t able to help, unfortunately, because their parts are in a warehouse and the agent wasn’t able to measure them.
    I have a porter cable 14” bandsaw with a 1.5 HP motor that is missing the centrifugal switch, motor fan, and fan cover, because the Amish guy I bought it from took all that off in order to mount a pulley so he could run it with his tractor. Grizzly has all these parts available for order for their model bandsaw but they don’t list the shaft size that they fit.
    If anyone out there has a Grizzly bandsaw, would you mind measuring the shaft size of the motor? My porter cable shaft size is 14mm. Thanks so much

Hi Ryan. I read your thread the other day,and notice that no one has replied yet. I do not own a grizzly saw so can not help with your question. You would probably get more responses if you included the model of grizzly saw that you need info on. Welcome to SMC, hope this helps you, Mike.

14mm is not a standard NEMA standard motor shaft size, my WAG is most (all?) Grizzly motors are probably NEMA standard motors. Have you had no luck with PC regarding parts?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

[QUOTE=Van Huskey;2663835]14mm is not a standard NEMA standard motor shaft size, my WAG is most (all?) Grizzly motors are probably NEMA standard motors.
    My WAG is that Grizzly would be IEC motor sizes. Since the shaft diameter is metric I would expect all the dimensions to be the same, hence IEC.
    To be honest except for the shaft diameter and keyway NEMA and IEC are close enough that a little filing and grinding would carefully chosen replacement to fit. I replaced a IEC with a NEMA on my mill/drill. I did have to ream the pulley to fit. and drill some new mounting bolt holes.
    Bill