Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Board Questions

Thanks for the compliment, Matt.

I once made a bunch of these shooting boards in MDF for a Lie Nielsen Handtool Event (the plans are on the LN website). My modification was to edge the runway with hardwood and groove the inside against dust ...

I later added a side fence to guide the plane. This is a HUGE upgrade ...

The other end of the spectrum is a Jarrah ramped shooting board sporting a low angle strike block plane ...

There are lots of variations or add-ons available. Here is a donkey's ear for mitres ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Ply keeps the weight down for those of us who only pull these out from under the bench every so often. Here's my older one for my LV LAJ with an UHMW bed and an adjustable wood keeper.

Shooting-Board-1.jpg

And one for the LV Shooter using their track extrusion.

Shootingboard v2 (4).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I should have added at the start of this post that I have made 2 already. Both absolutely terrible!
    I do subscribe that even a shade tree (does that apply to woodworking) woodworker like myself should be able to make this most basic of tools. But as of yet, I haven't been able to do so. At least, not in a way that produces a dependable and square tool.

The idea of a T track seems brilliant but, for me, a bit like landing a man on the moon. Doubtful that I could saw/chisel/route such an add on only w/ hand tools.

For now I'll likely order a donkey ear but make the actual board.

And if it's mostly free of splinters and country road crooked saw cuts, perhaps I'll post a shot or two!

I've spent plenty of time on the boards for other items. Bikes, and work related debris.
    It's wonderful to have such support presented in such a friendly way.

Thanks to all of you.

-Peter

I just have one layer and run my plane on the bench top. Is there a reason I shouldn't be doing this? Thx.

The one-layer shooting board is previously described as a bench hook. Works fine. The only reason to make it 2 layer is that the 2 layers can keep each other honest and flat. Also, if you are running a shooting plane, 2 layers allow you to trap the side with a track. But the biggest reason for me, is that it allows the shooting board to be used off-bench on surfaces are not smooth and not flat.

Mine is 1/2" BB for the upper board and 1/4 tempered masonite for the base. I made then fence out of a 2x4 piece of old growth doug fir. The two lower pieces are deck screwed and glued then the fence is screwed to the plywood bits.

I have had one of these for several years. Very stable materials used.

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/toolw...rds/multi.html

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Daniels View Post
    I should have added at the start of this post that I have made 2 already. Both absolutely terrible!
    I do subscribe that even a shade tree (does that apply to woodworking) woodworker like myself should be able to make this most basic of tools. But as of yet, I haven't been able to do so. At least, not in a way that produces a dependable and square tool.
    Hi Peter,

Here is a link to a video I made about making a very simple shootingboard in 10 miuntes from some pieces of plywood. As you can understand, it is not that difficult. To make the fence square I used a trick, adding some grit to the glue so the fence doesn't slide around while clamping down. Now it is easy to check and correct for square before the glue sets.

Have fun and good luck, Kees

Nice, simple, effective video Kees. What is the grit material added to the glue?
    David

I used some SiC grit I had on hand. But some grains of sand or even coarse salt can be effective too. Allthough the latter may melt in the glue...

This has helped me plenty folks.
    Thanks.
    Grit? New to me but I'll find a bit of sand somewhere.

I had intended to imitate the Vogt Super Chute but am now wondering about keeping it simple.
    How important is that ramped plateau of a shooting board?

And the primary reason I'm headed this direction is to clean up my miters.
    Any thoughts on how best to make the Donkey Ear?

-PD

Actually- if anyone just so happens to be sitting on detailed plans of a Vogt, that even a caveman (more thug like than a Neanderthal) like me can follow, well that'd be great.
    The more paint by numbers it is? The better.

Blog Entries
    This has helped me plenty folks.
    Thanks.
    Grit? New to me but I'll find a bit of sand somewhere.

I had intended to imitate the Vogt Super Chute but am now wondering about keeping it simple.
    How important is that ramped plateau of a shooting board?

And the primary reason I'm headed this direction is to clean up my miters.
    Any thoughts on how best to make the Donkey Ear?

-PD
    Though I haven't made a board with a ramped plateau, it seems like it may be a good idea. My only thought is to have the plateau falling instead of rising. This would be to have the first contact at the top of the piece instead of the bottom.

For cleaning up miters there are a few approaches. Here is one of mine made for an octagon miter:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-Eared-Donkey

Here is another for a lower angle board of mine. It has a lot of posts by others and how they do miters:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Ear-Experiment

Here is a post from Derek Cohen's website:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...erfection.html

Use the SMC search box with donkey ear shooting board and you will find a lot of ways to make various miter shooting fixtures.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Actually- if anyone just so happens to be sitting on detailed plans of a Vogt, that even a caveman (more thug like than a Neanderthal) like me can follow, well that'd be great.
    The more paint by numbers it is? The better.

Do not let the paralysis of analysis hold you back. A shooting board is a very simple project. The main point is a fence along the back being square to the plateau. If it is a hair off, it can be adjusted either in the design as Derek has on his site or a few strips of tape strategically applied to get you to square or what ever angle is needed.

Here is a simple way to shoot some miters:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Miter-Shooter

The piece of wood can be mounted vertical or it can be used horizontally.

Here is another one of my shooting board threads with an ambidextrous shooting board and some attachments for shooting an angle:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...44777-Oh-Shoot!

Hope all this is helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I also put T-Track on mine with clamps that hold the piece in place, and I absolutely love that. No chance of the board moving while cutting. Also I can clamp in a miter block in whatever angle or a donkey ear for various different miters. It's very versatile.
    Malcolm,
    I agree with others, this sounds brilliant! I'd love to see a pic if you happen to think of it the next time you are in the shop.
    Jeff