Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody see the new Grizzly Planer/Jointer Combo Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Agreed. It does help to have a repeatable Digital Read Out on the planer bed though so if you need to dial in a depth setting on the planer, it's quick and easy to do. Scales & pointers don't cut it for me. And yeah, the jointer function on the Griz machines seems like a waste. Especially for those of use that buy rough and face joint.

I currently have the Wixey digital readout on my DeWalt and don't know how I lived without it. I wonder it it could be added to a Combo machine?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    . . . I wonder it it could be added to a Combo machine?
    Of course. I have a Wixey WR550 retrofitted to mine and it works well.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    See, I currently have a DW735 planer and a Stanley #8 Jointer. I'm thinking that a Combo machine would fit in pretty much the same location in my fairly crowded Shop. Well, crowded for someone who needs wheelchair space and can't really move heavy tools around all that easily.
    Nothing like a good #8! I'd keep what you've got or find a way to stick an 8" jointer against a wall somewhere. If cost is an issue, a used jointer can be had for way less than that thing and will get you a lot further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Nothing like a good #8! I'd keep what you've got or find a way to stick an 8" jointer against a wall somewhere. If cost is an issue, a used jointer can be had for way less than that thing and will get you a lot further down the road.

Yeah, that's just it Will, I barely have room for what I have right now. My 735 is mounted on a cart so a combo machine wouldn't really take up a whole lot more space. With a bit of rearranging, I could make that work. I even thought about the Grizzly 10" combo unit except that it's only a 2-knife cutterhead. A spiral would be nice, but I could live with a 3-knife head.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew,
    I have the Grizzly 12" J/P and have found it to be well worth the money i paid for it. Certainly not up to the same performance as the European models but i have run thousands of board feet through it with good results.

Mark

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's just it Will, I barely have room for what I have right now. My 735 is mounted on a cart so a combo machine wouldn't really take up a whole lot more space. With a bit of rearranging, I could make that work. I even thought about the Grizzly 10" combo unit except that it's only a 2-knife cutterhead. A spiral would be nice, but I could live with a 3-knife head.
    Combo machine has saved me space for my small shop. They do weigh quite a bit though. Near 750 lbs. for mine. Buy the best you can afford, set it up correctly and it should be a joy to use.

I currently have the Wixey digital readout on my DeWalt and don't know how I lived without it. I wonder it it could be added to a Combo machine?
    I have an aftermarket DRO mounted on my MiniMax J/P and it works great...although I haven't actually used it in a long time. I, um...forget it's there and forget to change the batteries.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't see why it couldn't.

My Hammer has a mechanical digital gauge which works great, accurate, easy to read, no batteries..........Regards, Rod.

I may be the pauper of the group without a hammer or minimax but I have the jet 12" combo unit and it takes me no more than a minute (if that) to changeover, including raising or lowering the planer bed. I haven't had to adjust my tables yet.

I agree, I don't see the appeal of this Grizzly machine.

Stew, if it will fit the work you are doing and your budget, I see no reason not to buy it.

Not everyone needs a big machine. My buddy that just passed away had a Makita set up like that and he made small fine furniture and fancy boxes. His work was better than mine. The machine did everything he needed it to do. So you just have to look at what you hope to build and then decide if it is big enough, and if the jointer height is OK when using it in a wheelchair.

A picture is worth a thousand words, it's said. This is an iGaging unit, I'd think you could do something similar with a Wixey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not to derail this thread too much further, but here's a Wixey mounted on my combo machine.

I drilled a hole to route the cable through a wire chase that already existed in the machine to keep things a little neater. The aluminum rail on the right side is the sensor.

20170223_115627.jpg