Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody see the new Grizzly Planer/Jointer Combo Machine?

Anybody see the new Grizzly Planer/Jointer Combo Machine?

I just saw this, I'm not sure how long it has been out. It's an interesting twist on the combo machine idea. It certainly is a good price point, but I do wish it was an 8" jointer though.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Jointer-Planer-with-Fixed-Tables/G0809?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Griz G0809.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I saw that also. Makita used to make a side by side, model 2030N and it was well reviewed. Hitachi made one too. But like you said, it would be nice with a larger jointer. One of the advantages of those over and under combos is the large jointer they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    I saw that also. Makita used to make a side by side, model 2030N and it was well reviewed. Hitachi made one too. But like you said, it would be nice with a larger jointer. One of the advantages of those over and under combos is the large jointer they offer.

Yeah, large jointer, but time consuming to change over and difficult to keep adjusted.

Stew Hagerty

When it came out in the 2017 catalog it was priced at $2995, the current price is much more likely to generate some sales but the width of the jointer is likely a deal breaker for many.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Yeah, large jointer, but time consuming to change over and difficult to keep adjusted.
    Not really. I have a 16" Rojek J/P; changeover is under 1 minute and I've had to adjust the tables exactly twice in ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Not really. I have a 16" Rojek J/P; changeover is under 1 minute and I've had to adjust the tables exactly twice in ten years.
    The adjustments have always been a non-issue to me, the quality ones have no issues with that at all. My only nit is that some times I run the jointer and planer at the same time in my work flow. IMO combos are useful when you have a space and/or budget issue otherwise they are a compromise that said I would much rather have a 12" combo than this machine, a 6" jointer is just too small for most people and the beds are very short on this one too.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not sure I get why this thing exists. 13in planer and 6in jointer side by side thingy. Doesnt share the same head, its basically a 6in jointer bolted onto a planer that shares the same motor. Maybe I'm missing the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Not sure I get why this thing exists. 13in planer and 6in jointer side by side thingy. Doesnt share the same head, its basically a 6in jointer bolted onto a planer that shares the same motor. Maybe I'm missing the purpose.
    I think it is for the people who have been looking for a Japanese version for years and can't find a good one... In the end I don't get it either.

"Changeover Time" and "adjustment" are both somewhat a myth, Stew. J/P combo change over can be measured in seconds up to about a minute or so. The quality tools don't have alignment issues, either.

As to the one pictured, I personally wouldn't find that useful because it will not handle face jointing wider boards and I almost never use the jointer on my J/P for edges because of having a slider for straight line ripping that's glue ready. But that's me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have separate machines and now I have a combination machine. It really isn't that much effort to change over as Jim said. I do plan my work a little better nowadays to minimize changeovers. Swapping back and forth between two machines isn't a very efficient work flow anyway.

I don't see how the machine in the original post would be appealing to many people. There is too much of a capacity limitation for me.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 02-21-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    My hammer 12 " combo machine takes less than 30 seconds at most to change over and no adjusting. Not sure what machine you are referring to ?

Ha well thats an interesting idea. Too bad it wasnt an 8" jointer. Not gonna talk me out of saving for the Hammer A3-31 though!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    My hammer 12 " combo machine takes less than 30 seconds at most to change over and no adjusting. Not sure what machine you are referring to ?
    Agreed. It does help to have a repeatable Digital Read Out on the planer bed though so if you need to dial in a depth setting on the planer, it's quick and easy to do. Scales & pointers don't cut it for me. And yeah, the jointer function on the Griz machines seems like a waste. Especially for those of use that buy rough and face joint.

Stew, I own an A3-31 and haven't adjusted it in 10 years.

It sure is nice to have a wide jointer................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Ha well that's an interesting idea. Too bad it wasn't an 8" jointer. Not gonna talk me out of saving for the Hammer A3-31 though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Agreed. It does help to have a repeatable Digital Read Out on the planer bed though so if you need to dial in a depth setting on the planer, it's quick and easy to do. Scales & pointers don't cut it for me. And yeah, the jointer function on the Griz machines seems like a waste. Especially for those of use that buy rough and face joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Stew, I own an A3-31 and haven't adjusted it in 10 years.

It sure is nice to have a wide jointer................Regards, Rod.
    Here's the thing. I'm a disabled hobbyist on a fixed income. An A3 with spiral cutterhead is $5000. The combo machines I'm comparing it to would be the G0634KP or Z, and they run $2500-2700. I thought they had some definite problems. Or am I wrong?

See, I currently have a DW735 planer and a Stanley #8 Jointer. I'm thinking that a Combo machine would fit in pretty much the same location in my fairly crowded Shop. Well, crowded for someone who needs wheelchair space and can't really move heavy tools around all that easily.

Stew Hagerty