Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me jointer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    What did you end up paying for the jointer. It's always been high on my list of wants.
    I got it for $1050. Seemed ok deal, Most Delta DJ20's I saw were over $1200. Does not have helical head though. 3ph too, so i have to get a VFD.

As you may know, HP is lost with a VFD. You can do the calculations, but you may want to consider swapping out the 3P motor for a single phase, unless you want to go the rotary phase converter route (where no HP is lost, if sized correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    As you may know, HP is lost with a VFD. You can do the calculations, but you may want to consider swapping out the 3P motor for a single phase, unless you want to go the rotary phase converter route (where no HP is lost, if sized correctly).
    The VFD I bought is designed for this I believe so I dont loose HP.

Newer VFDs with Sensorless Vector Control (SVC) or Flux Vector Control will allow a motor to produce at or near both rated torque and Hp, even at lower than 100% speed.

Simple (older) VFDs used just V/hz control, and if a motor was run at less than its synchronous speed, it would produce proportionally less than rated Hp. So if you plan to run slow with a old VFD, Jeff is correct.

However, I can't imagine why you would want a jointer or planer to be running at less than its rated speed. If running at 100% speed, even using a old technology VFD, this power loss should be a non-issue. ....You would basically be using the VFD as a soft start only, and presumably for phase conversion in this case.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 02-24-2017 at 1:54 PM. Reason: phase converter

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Newer VFDs with Sensorless Vector Control (SVC) or Flux Vector Control will allow a motor to produce at or near both rated torque and Hp, even at lower than 100% speed.

Simple (older) VFDs used just V/hz control, and if a motor was run at less than its synchronous speed, it would produce proportionally less than rated Hp. So if you plan to run slow with a old VFD, Jeff is correct.

However, I can't imagine why you would want a jointer or planer to be running at less than its rated speed. If running at 100% speed, even using a old technology VFD, this power loss should be a non-issue. ....You would basically be using the VFD as a soft start only, and presumably for phase conversion in this case.
    Im pretty sure I got Flux Capacitor Control - It says fluxmaster on it. https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/pro...ives/fm50.html