Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "25 Yes" - finished

"25 Yes" - finished

Here's a completed project to share.

It took a while to build, but I delivered on time, February 14th -- 25 years after she said yes. This issue of FWW has a reader piece that is much more elegant, but very similar in style. It is described as a Jewelry Armoire. We just call it "25 Yes".
    Originally it was to be a large jewelry box to sit on a shelf in the closet. Then she wanted drawers for PJ's. It all came together.
    Certainly not all done with hand tools, but most of the work following the rough dimensioning was.

Some comments:
    - Legs were fun drawknife and spokeshave projects. Each is an individual.
    - The jewelry drawers are simple plywood boxes. I bought display case trays for custom outfitting. The face is copper veneer I bought on line.
    - The solid wood drawers were my first blind DTs. Like I have heard, easier than through DTs.
    - The knobs are all carved. The tiny ones on the upper cassette are from Lee Valley and are made for wood inserts. The Yin-Yang motif is part of our marriage history, so I made some scratch stock and glued up enough to fill those commercial knobs. After nervously pounding the whittled glue up through my dowel plate -- I smiled.
    - First try at knife hinges. It was fine, but they need to be installed perfectly level front to back or the pins do not line up on the same axis. That took a few tries.
    - The deep doors on the side are for necklaces. Since they are inset, then needed radiuses on both sides to clear the frame. It was interesting to plane them down, while exploring more deeply into the joinery with every cut.
    - working by eye to get the bottom stretcher curve to look fair with the inside curve of the legs was cool.
    - I'm eager for the cherry doors to darken so the sap wood is more contrasted.
    - Watco clear Danish Oil.

This is the forum I enjoy the most, so have a look. No build pictures taken. Crazy piece, but she likes it. So, I am happy.
    Regrets about the photo rotation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-20-2017 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Rotated photos

Wow, such a beautiful piece Bill! What is the wood on the inner drawer fronts? Oops, I see "copper veneer" - never seen anything like it.
    Last edited by Jim Belair; 02-19-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Pretty cool. My compliments.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Bill. Certainly unique.

A nice gift to celebrate an important occasion! I like the yin/yang as an expression of your relationship.
    Congratulations to both of you!

Hey Bill? Now you have to find a way to top that for your actual wedding anniversary next year.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's beautiful. The FWW piece must be really something if it is truly "much more elegant."

Lucky man, lucky woman . . . and the bond will surely get stronger. Great story and piece.

The kind of thing that cheers the heart of the beloved with every glance.

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece of work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very, very nice design and execution. Bravo!

11. Seriously impressive work! Thanks for sharing it. How did you work that copper veneer?

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice work and I like the style. Congratulations on 25 years.
    David

Blog Entries
    I'm reading that issue of FWW right now, and I like yours better. Very well done, and congrats on 25 years.

Blog Entries
    Bill, a beautiful piece and a great story to go with it! Thanks so much for posting the pictures.

Regrettably, you're making the rest of us husbands look very bad! Accordingly, I'm sure the Union will be sending you a note of censure. Quite likely you'll be asked to "take one for the team" by admitting this beautiful jewelry chest was actually built by a race of Savant, space aliens over many years, thereby absolving the rest of us from having to aspire to your high standards!

Seriously, I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks again for posting.

All the best, Mike