Thread: Air compressor - followup question

Air compressor - followup question

Thank you for all your replies - now I have a new concern.

It occurred to me that absolutely nothing comes out the drain every time I drain the compressor.

I've been using it/draining it daily about 2 weeks now and should point out I hadn't used it in a few years. Before I get the drain plug out, is there anything I should be cautious about?

Thanks.
    Howard Rosenberg

does it blow air out when you open the valve

Might be rust flakes blocking it. Poke something up in there when you have the plug out, but you probably want to wear disposable gloves, or you'll get iron stains on your hand that will have to wear off. Don't do that when there is a lot of pressure in the tank.

Jerome, nothing at all blows out - neither water OR air.

Thanks Tom - I forgot about gloves - good idea.
    Howard Rosenberg

It sounds like the drain may be blocked. If you shut the compressor off, and the pressure gauge shows it has pressure, you should most certainly have air blow out of the tube when you open the drain valve. I would shut it off, throw the breaker or remove the plug from the wall, put something on the hose and allow it to run until the gauge on the tank indicates no pressure is left in the tank. Then remove the drain. Either the drain is bad, or something is blocking the drain internally.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

it is clogged. You can temporarily clear it but doing what others here have said but it will most likely just clog again. If you take the valve out and also turn on the compress to help blow things out it will help prevent it from clogging again so soon. Just make sure you protect your skin and also the area under the compressor as nasty rusty stuff will come out. It can easily stain the floor.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I would - and have removed the drain valve after draining the tank of all air and crud then install a Street Ell. Doesn't need to be stainless. Run a nipple out to where the end of the nipple is reachable but protected and install a good ball valve. In addition to being easier to drain, water and crud might sit in the nipple rather than in the tank. It's easier and cheaper to replace a nipple if it corrodes than a tank.