Thread: Makita & Rocky (MLCS) Compact Trim Routers

Makita & Rocky (MLCS) Compact Trim Routers

I'm working on a remodel that has a lot of on site constructed built-ins and trim (with more than a few different edge treatments). I decided it was time to pick up another trim router as I was getting tired of constantly changing bits in my older model/style Ridgid (older model/style) trim router & DeWalt compact plunge router.

I went to Tools Plus and Home Depot and handled the DeWalt, Bosch, Ridgid (newer style/current model) and Makita and liked the Makita. I love the Ridgid trim router I have and found the Makita to be the closest in size and function. Neither store had the Makita kit with the plunge base, so I went home, hit the internet and came across MLCS's Rocky 30 trim router kit. Somewhere I had read about about the similarity of the Rocky and the Makita (and the Performax) so it could be a contender.

MLCS had the Rocky router kit (with Motor, Fixed Base, Plunge Base, Edge Guide, Laminate Trim Guide, Dust Collection Attachment, 1/4" & 3/8" Collets, and 2 router bits) on sale for less than the cost of just the Makita trim router (ie: motor & fixed base) or any of the other trim routers I looked at for that matter. After a brief deliberation I ended up purchasing the Rocky kit (for $90.20 and free shipping).

As fate would have it the other day I scored a Makita trim router motor (with just is collet and nothing else) at the pawn shop I occasionally peruse for tools. And the Rocky kit arrived today. So.... I thought I would share my initial impression & observations of the Makita & Rocky motors....

I really can't help but wonder how MLCS can sell a router seemingly/supposedly identical to the Makita, include the plunge base plus all of the other accessories for $90 shipped. Other than the location of the speed control (and location/type of company branding) the routers appear nearly identical. They are both 6.5Amps and spin between 10,000 & 30,000 rpms. There are a few differences - the speed control component and the switches are different on each motor. Neither, at first glance appears any better than the other. Under the hood, aside from the fan on the Rocky being a white plastic and the Makita being black plastic, they both appear identical. The 1/4" collet and nut appear to be the same and are interchangeable. The plug, cord, and strain relief are the only real differences, with those on the Makita being higher quality.

The Makita motor fits perfectly in the Rocky fixed and plunge bases. Both bases seem to be well made and function as they should.

I'll report back after I've had a chance to put both of these motors through their paces. If the Rocky performs as well as the Makita - which I suspect it will - I don't think the Rocky kit can be beat for the price. FWIW - the Rocky kit is back on sale at MLCS for $94.95 w/free shipping until the end of the month. I have no association with MLCS, just passing along what I believe to be a good deal...

Attached are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.... My apologies for the lousy photography - I cannot turn turn flash off on the old Nikon I have in the shop....DSCN4499.jpgDSCN4498.jpgDSCN4497.jpgDSCN4496.jpg
    Last edited by Todd Davidson; 02-19-2017 at 8:04 AM.

Your attachments are non-functional/existant...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Very interesting, was in the market for a ne trim Router. Definitely will look into this one.

Likely the Grizzly trim router w/ plunge base comes from the same source.

I bought the Grizzly trim router with both bases and all those attachments for $59 on a 1 day special a couple of months ago. The regular price is around $74. It is just as you described for the Rocky. Makita accessories fit fine.

John

I wasn't aware of the Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lami...ge-Base/T27139). At its regular price ($77) with shipping ($16) it's the same price as the Rocky on sale. Nice score John at $59....

Read an older post here in the Creek about the Performax (fixed base only) going on sale for $49 at Menard....

At these prices, I guess it comes down to choosing the router with the color that you like best....

I don't know what shipping would be but here is the link for the Performax at Menards. $69.99 with currently an 11% rebate but that is in store use so if you aren't close to one it might not be of benefit to you.
    menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/routers-accessories/performax-reg-1-1-4-hp-compact-router/p-1444448122659-c-10087.htm?tid=3184978596332838708

Hi - there is very few info on the Rocky, stumbled upon this post. Wondering if you ever also figured out if the batteries were interchangeable as well?

thanks,