Thread: Japanese Chisels on Ebay

Japanese Chisels on Ebay

Hi,

I have a question regarding Japanese chisels for sale on EBay. Is it my imagination, or does the steel on many of them look either fake, or just very odd? I am comparing them to a few I have, and it's not all, but many of the "used" chisels up for sale seem to be made from inferior steel, at least from the pics I see of them. If you look at what are supposed to be the revered chisels of a venerable retired carpenter or woodworker you can see where the steel has this mottled gray look. I am just concerned that these chisels are either fake, or of very low quality.

I anticipate that anyone responding might ask for an example, but I am not sure the board here wants me posting that kind of thing. If you look at any more than a couple of "used" chisels you will see what I mean. Zoom in on a pic that has a good view of the steel. It looks gray and mottled and just odd. It isn't an age thing, or signs of hard use. I would love to be wrong, but I don't think these are "kosher". What do you think? Same goes for many of the second hand Kanna there as well. Seems fishy to me. Just want to get other opinions. Thanks

JB
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 02-17-2017 at 2:06 PM.

Joe, eBay links are not allowed but you can post the eBay item number.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce -that helps.

Here is an example: EBay transaction 201818951831. That is a sample. Note that I recognize that the paint will wear from any tool over time, but that is not my point. It seems very suspicious ( and I am very open to be told I am wrong btw) that every one of them looks to have very similar wear patterns. It's also the steel revealed doesn't look like good tool steel. I am just concerned that there is a burdgeoning industry out there antiquing sub standard tools and selling them on EBay. There seems to be many more of these in the last couple of years. It could be that Japanese tool hunters are shopping at flea markets and have found a bit of a cash cow, but the very low prices and questionable look of them have me wondering is all. Glad to be proved wrong.

Thanks all.

JB

That's a very used chisel, looks like it's been ground to nothing (unless it was short to begin with), and extremely tapped out to make the back flat. Japanese chisels are also laminated, with the good cutting edge steel forge welded to a softer steel backing. Who knows how far that lamination extended back, this chisel could have been ground completely past it into the softer steel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Thanks Bruce -that helps.

Here is an example: EBay transaction 201818951831. That is a sample. Note that I recognize that the paint will wear from any tool over time, but that is not my point. It seems very suspicious ( and I am very open to be told I am wrong btw) that every one of them looks to have very similar wear patterns. It's also the steel revealed doesn't look like good tool steel. I am just concerned that there is a burdgeoning industry out there antiquing sub standard tools and selling them on EBay. There seems to be many more of these in the last couple of years. It could be that Japanese tool hunters are shopping at flea markets and have found a bit of a cash cow, but the very low prices and questionable look of them have me wondering is all. Glad to be proved wrong.

Thanks all.

JB
    Howdy Joe,

I am not in any way knowledgable on Japanese chisels.

To me that chisel looks like something I would pass on even if it was only $5. It might come home with me if it was only $1 or 2.

As far as your comment on "a burgeoning industry," it has always been the case of there being people trying to make a quick buck.

Another consideration comes to mind. We are transitioning in to an age of new technology. Many old family heirlooms are being shepherded to the second or third generation. Many of these family members may have no connection to their family's past. Are the young ones deciding it is time to no longer cling to great grandpa's carpenter tools?

I have a few of my ancestors' tools and other items. Those that were duplicates or not in a state to be useable were given to one of my brothers who has more interest in such things. Not sure if his heirs will feel the same as he does.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks like it may have been cracked or broken where th blade meets the shaft and welded using a modern welder.

It might have been a decent chisel when new, but is old and worn out. Whoever set up the handle appears to have known what they were doing, judging solely from poor quality pictures. But it is clear that the ferrule and handle are not original to the blade.

The blade was indeed broken, and an attempt to weld and grind was made by an amateur, probably a 6 year old girl. The weld no doubt destroyed the blade's temper. I would not trust that weld to endure the post.

I suspect this tool is a frankenstein.

Stan

That seller has a bunch of chisels for sale. They all look pretty bad. The most entertaining is item # 201816988229.

I'd love to rehab that chisel. Any tips on tapping it out to re-establish the hollow? Maybe start by tossing it the scrap bucket and buying a new chisel?
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    I would pass on it.