Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you sign and date pieces?

1. I usually use a branding iron on the boxes I make. I just made one that is too small for the iron. I am going to use an India ink pen. My question is, sign it before finish or after? I finish the boxes with Danish oil.

A simple branding iron with my name on it, and date stamped right next to it. All on the bottom of a piece in an inconspicuous location.
    Jeff

I never do. I know I made it.

I do this, too! The only problem is that many years, the pennies with current year markings don't appear until midway through the year. I haven't seen any 2018 pennies in circulation yet this year, for instance...

I sometimes fall back on using nickles instead - and bought a special forstner bit just for them (its an odd size, I'll have to go look it up...)

TedP

I never do either. I don't want anybody to know I made that thing.

Sometimes I do it, yes.
    P6260125.jpg

Always for new work and never for repair. An initial stamp on end grain for furniture and paper label on instruments (100% rag, acid-free paper with Krylon Preserve It! & 3M 77 attachment).

Always nice to see a vintage article I worked on advertised as not having been repaired...usually generates a call or note with correction to the listing person or company.

In addition to saving money, collect skills, experience, and relevant education that others lack in fields that are marketable and of interest, and expect to have a couple of careers on the way to the slight slowing down that now marks retirement. Maintain a good resume and a better portfolio.
    Last edited by Todd Stock; 02-18-2018 at 7:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Always nice to see a vintage article I worked on advertised as not having been repaired...usually generates a call or note with correction to the listing person or company.

In addition to saving money, collect skills, experience, and relevant education that others lack in fields that are marketable and of interest, and expect to have a couple of careers on the way to the slight slowing down that now marks retirement. Maintain a good resume and a better portfolio.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Have never signed, but wish I would have dated and marked the finish used.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

404 on the link you posted

I am called DuBois, and I will be walking your streets soon, Provo, UT ^^
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 02-19-2018 at 1:00 PM.

I sign everything, but don't put a date unless it is a gift. I sell a lot of stuff, and if it takes a couple of years to sell, the date, well...... dates it. I find that my customers seem to want my latest stuff, and an old date indicates to them it has been passed over before.....

I usually sign and date each drawer bottom with chalk per several 18th century pieces I've studied. For a more indelible solution, I also stamp my name in several inconspicuous places inside the case to ensure that my work doesn't magically become an antique in a few years.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.