Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you sign and date pieces?

Do you sign and date pieces?

I'm curious do you sign and date pieces that you make, and if so how? I've signed a few pieces with a permanent marker in an inconspicuous place. Usually my name, city, state and date.

Do you sign and date pieces and if so how? I've thought about engraving small metal plates that could be attached, but haven't gone to that much trouble.

Joe,

It depends on the piece. First, I have to want my mark on it. Second, I'll consider signing it if it's going to a friend or family member. My preferred method is woodburning with a "signing" tip. I use a cub cadet. The soldering iron styles that I tried never got hot enough. I have used a Dremel vibrating engraver. Sometimes, like you I just sign with a felt-tipped pen. I usually use a logo, which is a stylized version of my initials, with the year. For a longer discussion, please see: http://plaza.ufl.edu/chepler/Notes/S...our%20Work.pdf

Doug

I don't need to I can recognize my work anywhere.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It may depend on the piece or the person it is for.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some pieces. I make a very simple toddler chair as a baby gift, usually given for their first birthday. I build them with the thought that the boy or girl may one day pass it on the their own children. So I print my name, city/state and identify who I am - cousin, friend of Mom or Dad - on the seat, under the upholstery. Then, I sign/date it and put a poly finish over it to protect it from abrasion.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Are you kidding? I just try to hide the incriminating evidence!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

We HAD to sign tools made in our shop, stamped deeply on the blade ramps of planes , or in a 19th. C. type of way in order for them to NOT become "antiques" after several years' use. It has happened sometimes that a donor or a seller would offer to the museum a piece that had been made there years ago. Either innocently, or could be in a case of fraudulent behavior. Our silversmith found a coffee pot in Maryland labeled "English 18th C.,polished so often that the stamps had been worn off". He had made that pot himself 20 years earlier. Of course it did no good to try to persuade the shop's owner!!

As far as musical instruments were concerned, it has always been traditional to have a label inside violins or finer classical guitars, or displayed on the peghead on "American" style instruments, and electrics. I have never signed work benches I made, unfortunately. It seems that there are so many new people in the museum, there aren't too many who still know me, after retiring in 2009 ! Sign your work, or the same thing will surely and SOON become like that!

BUY the way.SAVE money. Gone are the days when you could expect to join a large organization, spend 40 years there , and get a decent retirement, as I was fortunate to do. Layoffs keep on happening as the bean counters are given more power.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-12-2017 at 9:27 AM.

Yup. I sign and date the back or bottom of everything I make.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Yup. I sign and date the back or bottom of everything I make.
    I do this as well...

Yes. Wood burner. Colwood.

IMG_0078.JPG
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Always, well since about 97 anyway. I to have stylized my initials and include the year. Most of my stuff is gifts for family and friends. I use a wood burner and mark in an inconspicuous place.

Blog Entries
    Felt pen or, in the case of dark woods, a white paint pen. I started a sort of tradition with pieces made for family members and sink a penny with the date into some place inconspicuous.

Penny.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just a stylized monogam and the year with a black Sharpie in an inconspicuous place. Not out of pride, but to recall years later who the gift was from and what the occasion was.

Everything is stamped with a "handcrafted by..." brand, with added fine-tipped marks-a-lot dates and personalized notes as appropriate.

15. I initial and date everything with a wood burner. Even if it is a practice piece it will give me a reference for the future to see if I'm improving.